1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

release weights

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 13ga, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 13ga

13ga Member

For all you release triggers shooters>. What is your set weight(in ounces) and your release weight(in ounces) for your trigger? Thanks in advance

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I shoot about 75/32

3. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I shoot a relatively slow one. 80/26

Ed Yanchok

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I'm with Ed. I shoot mine at 88oz set and 25oz release. I find a little slower release really helps me when it comes to the hard angle targets to keep me from short shooting them. I also like some "slide", or "let off", in my triggers so I can still stop the shot when I don't want it to go off. For many release shooters it is critical what their set and release points are, but, I have found over the years that your brain can adjust to just about any setting when it comes to a release, as long as it's not releasing too quickly. I, personally, feel that the set and release points on a release are not nearly as critical as the setting on a pull trigger...... Just my preference.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I shoot 56 set 28oz release.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

I am using timney all steel 1100 release, modified speed hammer. Set at 72 oz and release at 28 oz. I am new to release triggers. Aprox 500 rounds. I am hitting the bottoms of the birds, and back end especially the hard rights on post 5, really struggling with the post five hard rights. I did raise my comb 1/16 and thinking of doing it again, but may not help with hitting the back end of the bird. 10Tenner

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

10Tenner... Those are the exact symptoms I'm talking about for going to a slower trigger. It sounds like you are releasing the trigger before the barrel reaches the target. It's quite different from a pull trigger, as you are finding out. You may want to try this: Set the trigger in the first joint of your trigger finger, not the finger pad. Once the trigger is set, grip the trigger "firmly" and then call for the target. This will slow you down on the release. If that seems to help, try setting the trigger just past the first joint of your trigger finger. Here, again, set it firmly and hold it. If this helps break the targets with more consistancy have the trigger set slower. With a new release trigger shooter there is a tendency to set the trigger in the same finger position you did using a pull trigger. That doesn't always work. The release trigger will seem to go off much faster doing it the old way. Once you get comfortable with it, you will instinctivly know where you need to set your trigger..... Just my experience..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. chipking

chipking TS Member

All of mine are 54 - 58oz set and 26 - 28oz release.

--- Chip King ---

9. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Dan, I usually use the first joint on a pull trigger. I will have to see were the trigger is on the release trigger. I will take the advice on having the trigger farther in on the finger to see if that helps. That is the information I needed to know about release triggers, as I new to them, thanks. 10tenner

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Mine is a 4X2, sets at 64 ounces,releases at 32. I still use both a good pull trigger and the release. It just costs more to get a good pull trigger, even more than a release. I've broken 100s with both types of triggers. We get caught up in the pull bang syndrome shooting so many trap targets with either type of trigger and it rears it's ugly head on tough angles.

Hap

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Hap, that's a pretty fast release you have there. Maybe angles give you a little more trouble at times because of it!!

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Dawg, it makes hardly any difference which targets I miss when I miss, straight, slight, moderate or extreme. The ol neck/back dictates what my scores will be, not my quick release.

I shoot the same scores with a good pull trigger also??

Hap

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Hap, you're admitting we're old. The older we get the slower the trigger!!

14. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Trap2 s spot on as is Ollie-- 10T you need to slow that trigger down

Mine is set at 88set and 26 release with quite a bit of duration.

When you go to a slower release you increase your control significantly. This gives you the chance to salvage a shot on a mistake. With a quick release there is no opportunity to save a shot.

15. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

I raised my comb again. Helped on post 3, may need to drop a 1/32. I also tried the finger in farther on the trigger, helped, but still hitting the back end on post 1 and and especially post 5. I am using the 1100 as stepping stone for learning a release trigger. I may have to call the gunsmith who is doing my release triggers on my o/u and single barrel. He told me he setts them at 2 pounds difference, seems fast to me. 10tenner

16. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Received my o/u. Bottom sets at 72 oz and releases at 16 oz. Top sets at 80 oz and releases at 20 oz. 3.5 lbs between the bottom and 3.75 between the top. Do you think the release weight is to light? I have never seen anyone with those release weights? 10tenner

17. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

That's a really slow trigger but ok as long as it's crisp.

Ed Yanchok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.