1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

release triggers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JerryP, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Is it normal for a release trigger to have the potential to fire the gun with the top lever all the way to the right?

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Seems incongruous. What keind of gun adn what kind of trigger? My P gun will not.

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Who would want to?

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

My comment is not responsive to your question, but do any of the "Top Guns" use release triggers? Just Curious. Thanks, Ed

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

hippie, no one, of course.

I know two guys with release triggers that will fire with the top lever pushed to the right. One stopped using the gun when he realized it could happen. I am not very familiar with release triggers, just alarmed at the potential danger and wondering if this if normal.

MIA, would rather not go into those details, just want to know in general. I will say one was installed in a new gun by the factory recommended gunsmith.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If a gun's lockwork design is such that moving the top lever over does not disengage the firing pin from the trigger mechanism, the gun could certainly be fired. I've owned or handled a gun like that in the past but I can't recall what kind it was - it MIGHT have been my KS-5s or KX-5, but I can't say for certain.

Ed

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

The position of the top lever should have nothing to do with firing the gun if it does then something is very wrong with the gun.

TB

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Yes, simply holding the top lever to the right without breaking the gun will allow it to fire if released. You need to break the gun enough to allow the cocking bar to reset the hammers...

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

BigM-Perazzi and Average Ed, That is what I am talking about. Is that normal for all release triggers or just some of them?

10. BigM-Perazzi

Jerry, I don't know if it's normal, but, both my P-guns do it with Allor/Reich releases...

I never thought about it till now....

Jim

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I really think any of them will fire open OR with the top lever to the right . My Silver Seitz will fire open closed or in the middle

12. BigM-Perazzi

My p guns, if fully open will not fire as the hammers have been recocked.

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

From the limited responses here it is beginning to look like this is a normal condition with a release trigger. So if there is an interruption and the gun has to be opened there is the potential for a problem. The top lever is pushed to the right, and the finger slips off the trigger before the gun is opened, boom. Once the gun is opened to where the firing pin cannot reach the primer there is no concern.

14. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

When I disassemble my Kolar with factory release (both trigger sets do this), I remove the forend and barrel, fire the trigger both times and then release the top lever to the closed position. So to answer the original question, yes my Kolar will drop the hammers with the top lever in the open position. Bill Malcolm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.