1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release Triggers - Why so expensive??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by eric, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

I recently went from a pull to a double release. The parts needed to change to a release are minimal (to me) but the pricing is rather substantial - $650 to $1000. Why so expensive? Is it the liability problem or is that what the market will pay??

2. beaker100

beaker100 Member

hi eric, i think there are a couple of reasons.

1.)most gun manufacturers do not offer release triggers from the factory so the gunsmith must design and make the parts needed. to make and heat treat the parts requires some expensive equiptment. if the gunsmith does not have the equiptment he must go to a machine shop which can have a fairly large minimum. this for each model of gun.

2.) the installation is not difficult but the time needed to properly time the release can be great. triggers are personal from shooter to shooter so there is extensive time involved to personalize the trigger to the shooter.

3.) most gunsmiths want there triggers to look good as well as work properly.
    final polishing of a newly installed release can be time consuming.

just some of my thoughts thanks doug

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I've heard that the timing on release triggers can change. How & why does this happen? Are certain triggers more problematic than others?

Lou

4. beaker100

beaker100 Member

hi 635g, timing changes mainly by ware on the trigger and/or sear and/or the release hook.

this is why it is important to get release parts that have been properly heat treated.

also i think the design might play a small part in the way the parts ware.

jmo doug

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

And the answer is: (open the envelope, please) - because when you need a release trigger you will pay whatever it costs.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

your question:

" I recently went from a pull to a double release. The parts needed to change to a release are minimal (to me) but the pricing is rather substantial - $650 to $1000. Why so expensive? Is it the liability problem or is that what the market will pay??"

Same reason it costs $200 to replace a $2.00 component in your computer. Knowledge....

JC

7. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

They are expensive for the same reason divorces are expensive. They are worth it!! Could not resist. He he. Bill

8. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Well Lets see....

You go to see your doctor, he see's you for 5 to 15 minutes and you pay a (if you don't have a good insurance policy) $75.00 to $150.00.

You go to A smith to get work done, even if the repair is just an ajustment, don't you think you should pay for the experrience that the smith has learned from years of practice?

As one old shop owner has been quoted in the circles I move in, "It took me 60 years of trial and error, the good lord only knows how many thosends of dollars, to learn the answer to that question! AND YOU WANT me to HAND THAT KNOWLEDGE OUT FOR FREE??!!!!!!!!!!!" Jerry MYRIP!

The smiths I have had the priveledge of watching, even if they got the basics of what they do with a release, from another smith. Have many hours if not years, learnig what it takes to make one work, then on all but a very few, are going more hours getting it close to what the customer wants. And then there may be several more times tweaking it to get it just so for the customer.

I say it would cheap at $1500.00 to $2500.00! but I don't do them yet!

Al

9. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Al well put. It's also the market. people are willing to pay for them. If they cost $3000 apiece hardly anyone would be shooting them.

10. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

The question was asked:

"Are certain triggers more problematic than others?"

Only one in my experience, and I'll get to that one.

I currently have a K-80 , double release and a KX-5, both Krieghoff releases.

Before that, a KS-5, also factory.

Before that, an Allem double release on a Beretta 682 Greystone combo.

Before that, a Bowen release/pull on a 682 black frame unsingle combo.

None of them ever changed perceptibly.

But first of all, when I was trying to decide whether to go to a release, I got a Cole release for my Beretta 391. That one DID change, eventually starting to pull through, after maybe 10k rounds. But it was not the fault of the release, the hook on the hammer simply got too worn. So I just swapped hammers with a pull trigger group I have, the release notch being unworn. It would catch but not release, requiring some very minor and careful honing, after which it was fine. I still have that one and use it occasionally.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You are getting ripped of in my opinion. The parts to convert a trigger are easy to make and simple to adjust and install. The only time this becomes difficult is when trying to convert a trigger from a gun which has a unique type of trigger which you have never seen before.

To give you an example, an Anschutz target rifle which has a trigger which is adjustable 18 different ways costs about $400. Taking an existing trigger and converting it to release by adding a few parts and adjustments should not cost anywhere near what people are paying. HMB

12. argus tuft

argus tuft Member

HMB: Release triggers are time consuming in thier fitment and timing, often sent back by the customer for adjustment because they are not happy with the timing or pull/release weights for thier stlye, all of which is usually done FOC.

The parts also are usually made outside by a machine shop and to get some scale of economey the Gunsmith has to order in volumes which are well above sales rates over last 3 months (could be a years supply) and in any business you should not carry over 90 days supply of parts.

I really think if you paid your Gunsmith what he is worth on an hourly rate (say $100 per hour), take into account cost of parts, holding costs, and rework you won't be finding any Gunsmiths retiring on thier earnings from fitting release triggers.

Argus

13. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Kerry Allor did a release trigger for me . I think it cost me $395.00 for the bottom of a Perazzi trigger . It was the best $395.00 I,v spent in this sport .

Gun fitter Stay with wood as you know little about triggers .

ALF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.