1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release Triggers Discharges during Competition

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by blackfoot, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

This summer for the 1st time I was on a squad with 3 different shooters shooting with a release tigger who had his gun discharge: 1st person shot the power cord 4 feet in front of me,the 2nd person had his gun discharge at least 3 times into the ground in front of his station and to his right almost in front of me,and the last shooter his gun discharged into the house.

These were very experianced longtime high handicap shooters with high end guns doing the shooting.I am starting to form the opinion that release triggers are dangerous and would like not to shoot on a squad shooting one if i can help it.

Can I walk off the squad w/o penalty if it happens again and get resquaded or can i have the shooter removed from the squad? It only takes once!

Any experiance with this?

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

Yes, but not as bad as your expample. Get ready for the release trigger lovers to flame the crap out of you for bringing this up.

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

Interesting post. Gives credence to those who have had them banned like in Olympic shooting. Both Perazzi and Beretta advised the ISSF Shotgun committee that they did not support RT's. Wonder what will happen when we have a death or serious injury involving RT's?

TB

4. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

I should of been clearer,there were 3 seperate instances with 3 different squads;it was not 3 shooters on the same squad.

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

blackfoot

My release trigger frequently discharges during competition. For example, it happened 1400 times during the preliminary week at Grand. I've noticed it always happens very shortly after I call for a target.

I've never shot a trap house or a cord, but I've only shot release triggers since 1990. However, they may go berserk any minute and indescriminantly start hitting cords, trap houses and/or the ground in front of my squad mates.

On the other hand, I never deliberately squad with dipshits. In those rare circumstances when I end up on a squad with one, I try real hard to make certain I don't end up on a squad with him or her ever again.

sissy

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I've seen more trap houses shot with pull triggers.

7. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

I have to agree with Hoosier Daddy, your finger should NEVER be on the trigger until the gun is downrange and ready to fire, release or pull. I personally shoot a release because I like them and have never even come close to a negligent discharge. My finger is pointed straight out until my gun is pointed downrange and at the hold position I am taking. I even make sure the gun is in a safe position while closing her up with a shell just in case.

I have seen shooters who shoot a release, pull the trigger, then mount the gun! That is super bad in my opinion... It's like "why don't people wear safety glasses while using a table saw"?

KK

8. spritc

spritc Active Member

blackfoot, I find your email address very interesting. Are you sure you are a trap shooter or are you someone trying to get others fired-up?

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Blackfoot I really feel for you . To have all the discharges going on around you must be very trying . After shooting trap for over 30 years you have had more guns going off around you in one day then I can remember in that time .

Me thinks you are a Troll .

ALF

10. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

This is a ridiculous argument. Both pull and release triggers are part of the sport. Get used to it. I don't know how many AD's there are a year but with all the targets thrown some are bound to happen. Proper gun handling should render them all harmless.

There are far more pull triggers used so I'm guessing, based on my observation, that more AD's come from pull triggers. Regardless it's a moot point.

I have used both and have never had an AD except for a Browning that got some dirt in the sear and slam fired 3 times.

Proper gun safety negates any harmful results of an AD, pull, release or mechanical failure.

I am so tired of this almost constant bickering over pull vs release.

11. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

From 40 + years of shooting, I have seen many shooters set their release prior to mounting the gun, pulling through is a common cause of accidental discharges whether setting prior to or after mounting. I have seen trigger shoes slide on the trigger on pull triggers causing firing on closing and I had a new P gun that had a 8 oz trigger that would go off at closing. So,keep them pointed down range. I don't use a release because it's just one more thing to go wrong.

12. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

NICE CAST...but I believe you were using only 2 lb test and the lure snapped off as it hit the water....was it a 7.5 or 8 inch rapala????

13. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

jbbor, try again

14. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

15. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

I'm glad you find it interesting Mr. Kolar. It happened at the PITA Idaho state shoot,Washington State shoot and at Black Diamond shoot this year.They were long time shooters who discharged and were not inexperianced beginners(2 guns were Ljutics and the other a MX15/14).

What i don't know if was from poor gun handling,defective trigger,flitch,age or what. All i know is what I saw.I admit this was a 1st for me,I have never seen a release discharge in either competition or practise any where I have shot.

I did make note of each person and will not allow myself to be squaded again.

16. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Breathe, mount, set, call. Just how hard is this for some people to remember? First rule of safe gun handling is to keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. I do not consider setting the trigger then mounting an acceptable shooting practice. If you have to mount this way, you need to take up crocheting for a while. You are creating an unsafe shooting environment for everyone around you. Release triggers can pull through and accidental discharges are a fact of life with them for this reason. However, if the gun is pointed down range and mounted when the shooter sets it, there should never be anything shot other than the back of a trap house from a low hold shooter. Splattering concrete dust and deformed pellets into the shins of your fellow shooters or worse should be grounds for immediate disqualifiation from the event and forfeiture of all fees. Make people think twice about what they are doing with a loaded firearm in their hands. Oops! Sorry is pure bull sh*t and we have all seen it happen.

Jeff

17. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

I shoot and have shot release triggers for years. I have never shot a cord or a trap house nor have I had the gun discharge into the ground in front of my self or squad mates accidentally. I on occation do have the trigger pull threw when I am setting it if I do not set it hard. When this happens the shot always clears the top of the trap house as I set the trigger after mounting the gun and while focusing my eyes in front of the trap house. Some folks can not set the trigger with the gun mounted and have to set the trigger prior to mounting. They would be best off to keep the muzzel pointed up and down range when they set the trigger. In the event I were to cause damage to equipement at a facility at which I was shooting I would compensate that facility for full recovery. I shot for about 7 years prior to going to the release because of a flinching problem. The release has kept me shooting for a additional 25 plus years. Post-2

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A divot don't scare me. but setting the trigger prior to mounting is at best, thoughtless and stupid.

we had one nice old gent who had parkinson's and shook pretty good. His wife had to drive him to the club to shoot. He was a good shot, but you could expect a divot or 2 now and then. He practiced safe handling to the max and there was never a problem.

HM

19. bb-84

bb-84 Member

What about the DOOFUS who sets his trigger before he even closes the gun.

20. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Blaming a release trigger for an accidental discharge is like blaming a gun for a shooting. It's the Indian, not the arrow.

I also know some shooters who set their triggers before or while mounting their guns. The reason they give for that is that they are unable to set their trigger with the gun mounted. I've never said it, but methinks its time to either break a habit or quit when that happens.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.