1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RELEASE Triggers Dangerous?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TX-MX, Jul 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TX-MX

TX-MX TS Member

Am I the only shooter who thinks release triggers in the wrong hands are extremely dangerous?

2. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

In the wrong hands, pull triggers are also extremely dangerous.

3. trapp2012

trapp2012 Member

Everything is dangerous when it comes to firearms and being in the wrong hands.

4. ismah

ismah Member

TM-MX: A shooter "getting used to a release trigger" is dangerous, I avoid them.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

ismah - A shooter getting used to a pull trigger is dangerous, I avoid them.

Pat Ireland

6. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Without them, many of these shooters could not participate. Me included! Just wait till that dreaded FLINCH bites you. You'll see what I mean. Handled properly they are no more dangerous then the person using them.

Big Jack

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Bathtubs kill more people than release triggers. Is that a valid reason for not taking a shower!!

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

He didn't ask if release triggers in the wrong hands are extremely dangerous. He asked if he was the only shooter who thinks that release triggers in the wrong hands are extremely dangerous. I believe the correct answer is: no, there are other shooters who think that release triggers in the wrong hands are extremely dangerous.

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Hauxfan!

10. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Easy dawg. Easy...

11. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

NO. Most shooters shooting a release have probably shot with a pull for X number of years and have the experience to shoot a release. I for one don't mind them. When my ears are on I do hear the click when someone sets it at the next station. No problem. Dave T.

12. Chris

Chris TS Member

Hauxfan gotta love it! :)

Chris

13. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

"Am I the only shooter who thinks release triggers in the wrong hands are extremely dangerous?".......yes!!

"Bathtubs kill more people than release triggers. Is that a valid reason for not taking a shower!!"..........yes!!

tony

14. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

I think a shooter asking that is dangerous

15. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I bet those pattern "tattoo's" you see on the back of trap houses are placed more often with release triggers than pull triggers though. I doubt that many of the release users would agree with me though. The other day a release operator blew the voice release cord in two pieces.

16. Baber

Baber TS Member

Remember they are BANNED in Olympic Shooting. Perazzi and Beretta testified to the ISSF shotgun committee that they thought they were dangerous and should be banned.

More fuel for the Fodder Machine

TB

17. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Ok, I’ll admit it. My name is Dan Thome, and I shoot a release trigger. There seems to be a lot of stigma towards release triggers in our sport, and I’m at a loss to understand why. I have heard, and read, that people believe release triggers are dangerous and basically an accident waiting to happen. Some have even called for them to be banned from the range because they endanger other shooters. Why do some shooters feel this way? What possible justification do they have to support such claims? And, why is it that all these claims come from shooters that do not shoot releases, and have no actual knowledge of how they work and how safe they really are? A release trigger is as safe as any pull trigger when used properly.

I shot pull triggers for many years before I switched to a release, and I shot them well. No, I didn’t have any flinches, or any other problems related to pulling the trigger. I just happened to buy a Ljutic from a friend that had a release in it and decided to try it for a while. Immediately after getting the gun, I went home and stood in front of a mirror. I mounted the gun, set the trigger, called for a bird and released the trigger 200 times that evening. I did it until it felt comfortable to me. The next day, I went to the club and shot a hundred 16 yard targets with it. It felt GREAT! It was so much smoother than a pull, I couldn’t believe it. I was smooth to the target, and when I got to it, I just let go of the trigger and the target disappeared in a cloud of smoke. How much easier could it get? I was hooked from that moment on.

I know, there are those of you that will say, just look at the back of the trap house and you can see how many times a release trigger went off when it shouldn’t have. Well, folks, I have seen as many pull triggers shoot the house as I have releases. As long as your gun is pointed safely in the right direction, what does it matter if the gun goes off, for any number of reasons? This is a shooting sport involving guns, and sometimes things just happen, regardless of the reason, and we have all been witness to these occurrences, at one time or another, right? I have seen guns go off when a shooter closes his gun. I have seen them go off when a shooter isn’t ready for the target and panics when it comes out, resulting in a fast trigger pull, or release. None of these supports the feeling that a release trigger is any more dangerous than a pull trigger is. Whether it is a pull, or a release, it is still a TRIGGER that allows a shotgun to be fired. The trigger is controlled by only one thing: THE SHOOTER SHOOTING THE GUN! I think a much fairer statement would be is that one type of shooter more dangerous than another type of shooter. After all, every shotgun on the trap line will only re-act to the actions of the shooter that is manipulating the trigger, be it a release, or a pull.

There are many shooters that are still able to participate in, and enjoy, trap shooting that would not be doing so if it were not for release triggers. They have prolonged many a shooters career that were afflicted, at one time or another, with the dreaded flinch that cost them many hours of complete frustration and embarrassment. Try to imagine, if you can, the number of registered shooters that might not be supporting the ATA, or the PITA, because they could no longer shoot a pull trigger. The same can be said for league shooters, pot shooters, and fun shooters. The number is staggering, I’m sure. We need these shooters to continue shooting and to continue to help bring new shooters out and become involved with our sport. We can’t afford to lose ANY shooter because he can’t shoot a pull trigger, can we? We need to do everything in our power to keep them shooting. Our sport depends on them.

Bottom line is this: Release triggers will always have their place in our sport as much as pull triggers, guns, shells, targets, traps, or anything else. I believe that any tool that allows a shooter to stay in the game a little longer than they would have otherwise, is perfectly acceptable to me, and is a welcome addition to our “tricks of the trade”. Think about that the next time you are shooting next to a shooter with a release trigger. Aren’t you glad he found that something extra that gave him the opportunity to stand next to you and compete? His trapshooting dollars go into the same coffers as yours to help keep our sport alive and well and, after all is said and done, isn’t that what we all really want?…… Dan

18. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Hey...

Where does a release trigger fit in the 12 Step Program?

Pilgrims and Bunny Buster's are dangerous with guns,,,not trapshooter's with a release!!

I think somebody needs to go back on their med's.

Curt

19. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

You covered it all, Dan, and quite well I might add.

Hauxfan!

20. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Dan,

I could not have explained it better, if people cannot understand after your explanation so eloquently discribed, then I just hope they get bitten by the "Flinch Virus" and maybe then they will understand.

Release Trigger..............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are release triggers dangerous