1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

release trigger ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by il shooter, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. il shooter

il shooter Member

Would like to know pros and cons on haveing a release trigger . I am thinking about getting one THANKS

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If you don't NEED one, don't get one. The pros, it 99% fixed my flinch. The con, its a Release Trigger.

3. Phillip's Gunsmithing

Phillip's Gunsmithing Member

I agree with Grntitan. If you don't need one don't get one, but if you do need one get one.

Phillip Crenwelge

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

And I'll in turn agree with Phillip. If you NEED one, have him do it.

He did mine and there is none better.

5. 1atatime

1atatime TS Member

A release fixed my flinch, too, but was was never reluctant to go to a release.
    In my case, without a release, I tended to flinch with a mounted gun.

I thought release triggers had an advantage in that when I called for the bird, I just followed it with my bead and when I was ready to shoot, just sort of pointed my finger at the target. In my case, my average ultimately improved substantially.

Other than having an initial trigger flinch with my hunting rifles (went away) I have no problem switching back and forth.

Good luck and shoot well

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

You will know when you need one, shooting from the grass is embarrassing.

7. NintyT

NintyT Member

I disagree with most. Many shooters take every advantage they can get, ie; color glasses suited for conditions, blinders, ball cap, well fitting gun, quality shells and such. A release trigger is another of these advantages, but it is commonly perceived as a crutch because nearly all shooters that go to a release are trying to overcome a flinch. A release does not work for everyone, just as the pull doesn't work for all. Keep an open mind. Steve j

8. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

Back in the late seventies I shot on a squad with Hiram Bradley when he was shooting a model 12 with a release. I asked him about it and he had an 1100 release in his car and told me to try it. We went to the practice traps and I shot a 100 targets with him watching. I found I had much better control and was more relaxed with it. I shot a 50 on the last 50 and never took it out again
    I do shoot sporting with a pull and have no problems, but I do shoot sporting low gun.

Rick

9. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

Ive messed around with one just to see if I liked them I dont need one. Whats fun is when a shooter slips on the release and shoots the side walk or the grass in front of you. I have seen the trap house get shot and the release cords get shot I guess you might have to think a little more when you use one.

My advice is to try one if it helps go with it.

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Geez, I've seen traphouse's and cords shot by pull trigger guys trying to close, or open, tight chambered guns too...

Releases are like anything else in shooting, care and knowledge of what and where your shooting.

Remember and be careful of each..

11. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

IL Shooter.

As most have already said if it ain't broke don't fix it.

But if it is broke (in other words you have a flinch) they are the best things since sliced bread, well for me they were.

As my sign on name suggests I shoot Release Triggers in all my guns, went from Pull-Pull to Pull-Release in 2000 after years of Pull-Pull, in 2010 the yips started with my second barrel, could not pull the trigger.

I was fortunate that it happened at the Iowa State shoot and Phil Crenweldge was working the shoot, only answer left was a Double Release, should have gone directly to it in 2000, Phil has done a number of guns for myself and my best shooting buddy, we both now shoot Double Release and have great fun and reasonable amount of success doing it.

Phil is going to do a Double for my Perazzi this summer at Sparta.

Very much a personal decision, but if you decide a Release is for you then Phil is the man.

Release Trigger.

PS. Without a Release Trigger I would not be shooting as a flinch became a real problem for me, 3-5 times every 25 targets.

12. dhip

dhip Active Member

One thing I've learned is know your gun.I marked mine so as to not pick up the wrong gun.Don't depend on pads,recoil devices, etc. to tell gun apart.Had a gun that looked exactly like mine,even the little stick on pad on comb,went to the line,mounted gun,when I went to set release it went off,total surprise and dumb founded.Now my Bt99 has a special tiny decal over the screw on front of fore arm.First thing I look for before picking up gun. That particular day there were a row of BT's setting there with mine,the one I picked up I was sure was mine,pads and everything exactly. Lesson learned,knowing your gun is more than knowing how it shoots.Release was reccommended to me from fella that got me into this sport.I did pick up several targets doing so.

Doug H.(pa)

13. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Without the release trigger I would have given up shooting a long time ago. I happened to note that "fast gun" mentioned that it was funny to see a release shooter shoot the sidewalk, the grass in front of him, the cords and the trap house itself. This is not humorous. If someone does this it is nothing more than negligence and carelessness. I set the trigger only when my gun is in the shooting position pointed downrange. If for any reason I need to clear the gun; I simply release the action while the gun is in the shooting position and pointed downrange. How can anyone shoot the trap house, the cords, the sidewalk, the grass, etc. unless they are negligent in the handling of the shotgun? JMHO. Ed

14. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I shoot a double release and have so since I started shooting shotgun. Now I have hit the trap house but only with a pull trigger durning setup with a gun a fellow club member was trying to sell me(just before I call for the bird I set the trigger and it went off). I could say pull triggers are dangerous!! It's interesting the things you hear on this site but muscle memory is hard to overcome. The other day I was shooting a round of skeet and I just could not for the life of me shoot the second shot of doubles with a release/pull gun because I automatically want to set the trigger for the second shot. I have never misfired with my double release guns. Joe

15. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Releasing is a RELAXING muscle motion.

Pulling is a TENSING muscle motion.

milt

16. plaw

plaw Active Member

There are many things you can try before going to a release if you are doing so because of a flinch. Talk to some of the all-americans that give classes.another is one of the Writers AVG.ED he may be able to give you some good advice. One thing i have found , It sure makes trading guns a whole lot more expensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.