1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

release trigger?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I guess I don't really understand the concept of the "release" trigger. I mean I understand how they work, but is it just to get rid of the flinch problem? or is there some other reason for it that I'm not getting. There seem to be a lot of guns available on this site that are set up with them. If it is just a solution for flinching, it seems like an extreme one. To completely change the way that guns have been set up forever just seems like overkill for a minor problem. I occasionally flinch like most shooters, but would never consider changing completely the way the gun works to try to correct it, and wouldn't this screw you up with other shooting sports, hunting and such? Sorry to soumd like a dummy on this, but maybe someone could enlighten me. Bill

2. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

A lot of shooters shoot pull trigger when it comes to hunting because there is no thinking, but in trapshooting, sometimes they are just not smarter than the trigger..It's 100% of a head thing...

3. chipped99

chipped99 Active Member

If you are already flinching some now it won't be to long{if you shoot a lot} before you grasp the importance of a release.I shoot my rifles and pistols just fine.I bird hunt without a hiccup.Just something in the not so well working brain that makes you want to walk out to the trap house before you can pull the trigger.You don't understand something that seems dumb to so many and to yourself, but the folks that need them do.I HOPE YOU NEVER NEED ONE!I would not shoot without mine nor could I shoot without them.They are most wonderful thing in the world if you need one.Surely there is someone at your club that would let you try one and see just how they work.You might like it!!!!!!!!!!

4. buster45

buster45 Active Member

Mine was not a minor occasional flinch. I actually thought my trigger was broken I could not pull it.
    Went to double releases problem solved. No it doesn't affect my hunting with pull triggers you don't track most birds you just point and shoot.I can change back and forth from target gun to field gun,but let me try a pull trigger on targets can't do it.

They defintely serve a purpose.

Buster

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

What Two Dogs said. I think it is the repetition thing that does it. When hunting it is a reaction shot, and concentration on the target is automatic. When trapshooting, it is that constant banging that seems to get in your head. Then add the lack of concentration because of it, and then the convulsions start. The eyes start closing at the thought of pulling the trigger, every once in a while. Then you start thinking to yourself "What the hell was that". Then when it is your turn to shoot again, you are thinking right before you call for the bird, "Man, I hope that don't happen again." Then bang, Loss! It is all downhill after that. It is a total mind thing. "The mind is a terrible thing to waste." Sometimes it just can't be stopped. LOL

6. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I only shoot release on my shotguns, I came from a target rifle background where you continue squeezing the trigger when I'm within the wobble area of the right sight picture. For me in trap and skeet I only get one chance to release the shot on time and I find I can do this with my releae triggers. Joe

7. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

So far, I don't have a flinch,(knocking on wood...crossing myself...rubbing a rabbit's foot on my nose!...) but I have loaded the wrong barrel or had a misfire! When that happens, I can see how aggressively I pull the trigger! I wonder how I don't pull the barrel off every target!

Just for fun, I shot a friend's release trigger Ljutic. I could quickly see how much more smoothly I was firing the gun! SMOOTH to the target!

I have not switched to a release...but I would not hesitate to buy one if I wanted the gun anyway! Jack

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

For me, what Joe said above. Why fight heavy triggers....

9. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Slayer, you will know when you "need" one. Until then shoot well and have fun.

Rick in MT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.