1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release Trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sam M, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam M

Sam M TS Member

Opinions on switching to a release trigger please.
    I know several folks who have taken their shooting to a higher level with the switch but I also know a few shooters who really screwed their games, not being able to pull or release a trigger.

Thanks

2. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I would be wary of switching to a release based on that information. Generally speaking, shooters switch to a release when they have difficulties with flinching. If it becomes pervasive, as it was in my case, then the switch is recommended. That said, it is still possible to flinch with a release; it's just that the incidence of flinches is reduced.

3. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Get a good trigger, They are out there.
    Never look back. Find a private moment and check it out.
    Then you will say. "Only way to Fly"
    It is not everyone's cup of tea.
    My new Kolar T/S has an excellent trigger.
    My Perazzi's have McDaniels triggers tuned by Allor in Michigan.
    These triggers need to be maintained !!!

Good Luck !

Jor Woods/Ontario

4. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

I shot a release for the first time last week. I urge you to try one first before making up your mind. They're popular enough that someone at your club probably has one and may lend a gun to you. I don't have a flinching problem (yet), but was intrigued with my limited experience using one.

Many, many thanks to Mike at Triple B Clays for lending me his K80 with the release. I appreciate your generosity.

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If you don't flinch it might be best to continue pulling one. If you do flinch even occasionally, think you're trigger control sucks or you're stuck in Class B for most of your shooting career it might be worth a try.

It's best to ignore the advice of well meaning but obviously mis-informed individuals who harbor ill feelings towards release triggers. They have saved the careers of many and really advanced the talent of others!!

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I shoot a release because I have to Not because I want to. They have to be maintained by a real good gunsmith and I live a long way from one of those guys so it can be a real PITA.

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I am curious, someone mentioned that release triggers must be maintained??? What does this mean?? I have had two for years, never done a thing to them????

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is a shame that trap guns do not come equiped with a good adjustable trigger. An adjustment screw to get rid of trigger creep and an adjustment screw to set the weight of pull should be available on target grade shotguns. But they are not. Bad triggers lead to flinching and the purchase of a release trigger. HMB

9. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Most release triggers have two sears, pull sear & release sear. After time they will wear. My MX 8 trigger assembly had never been touched. I took it to Kerry Allor,Michigan.When he was done tuning the trigger, i could not believe the improvement.The timing of trigger was improved .
    Maintain those triggers.!!!!

Joe Woods/Ontario

10. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

I shoot a release because of a bad flinch problem. If you don't flinch, I would suggest staying with a pull. Just my opinion.

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Release maintainance is often over-rated. Krieghoff releases are easily "tuned" by replacing hammer springs. Other releases are often constructed with soft parts. I won't mention their names!!

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

If you do not need to use one to reduce/eliminate flinching, stay with the pull trigger(s).

Don Verna

13. NintyT

NintyT Member

Because I had trouble letting up on the trigger after the first shot in doubles, I went to a release pull. A year or so later I tried a release on my single barrel. Turned out to b the best thing I ever did! Release triggers have such a strong connection with shooters that flinch, people tend to look at it as a "crutch". I feel as if they are just another advantage, like shooting glasses, blinders or a good patterning choke. Just another opinion. Steve Johnson

14. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

I started trap shooting after 30 years of competeive rifle (Lifetime Master).

I immediately developed a flinch, and after Frank Little's advice went to a release and have been there for 38 years. Allems does the job for me and I've always been satisfied.

Hank Cross

15. yendor12

yendor12 Member

I have only been shooting seriously for 3 years now. Last season I made the switch to a release due to a very small but yet score dropping flinch. I will never go back.
    I shot 1000 rounds with it before it became second nature without thinking about it.
    I talked with many top shooters and opinions vary from one to another. When I switched my scores went down some. But the end result is more confidence and moved me to the upper B class.
    Someone told me once that it took less effort to release the trigger than it was to pull one....??? I don't know, but I sure like the feel of it.
    Good luck with your choice!
    Rod

16. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I think many shooters would be suprised to know that they flinch when shooting. The best way to find out if you do, is if a shell does not fire, when you are expecting it to. Believe me, you will know if you have a flinch problem. I know I have one just by shooting my Bow with a Archery Release (Pull Trigger). It is amazing, the things that happen when you are lined up on the target with the sight, and as soon as you try to pull the trigger, target fright takes over and you shoot an arrow about 2 feet off target at 25 yds. That is also known as a flinch. It comes from pulling a trigger and expecting recoil (Trapshooting). I think most shooters will eventually develope a flinch. A release trigger is the easiest cure, and probably the easiest to get used to. You really have to think about what you are doing in the beginning, as far as the trigger goes. That is why your scores will go down in the beginning, because you are thinking of the trigger function, and not really concentrating on the target. It does not take long to get used to though.

17. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

if you feel you need it jump in and don't look back, quality releases cost more but are more dependable and require less maintenance.

18. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Sam M.

After dicking around with different guns, stocks, barrels, barrel weights and lighter loads, I finally bit the bullet and went to a Release in 1999.

Not only did I flinch but I would actually try to walk with the gun whilst trying to pull the trigger, if not for a Release I would have given the game away years ago.

I started with a Release-Pull for the first ten years but at the 2010 Grand had a Double Release installed in both my K-80 and my Perazzi (Precision Triggers)and what a "Hoot to Shoot" now.

It took approx 25 targets to get used to the Release-Pull and about 4-6 weeks to fully get used to the Double, here in Australia we shoot a lot of double barrel (2 shots) and if the second is not needed then you have to break the gun with the second barrel/trigger already set, that was what took the time for me to get used to.

Doubles was never a problem because you always fire your second barrel, mate I could not return to a Pull trigger if my life depended on it.

Good luck with your desicion.

Yours in sport Release trigger.......Gary Kennerson.

19. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Sam, you didn't mention what gun you shoot, but if it's a Perazzi count on a yearly gunsmith tune-up to to keep set/release pressures steady. I've shot an Alfermann over 100k rds. in 12 years with no tune-up and no changes in pressures. That said, I still enjoy shooting my Perazzi.

Buz

20. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

That is one thing about the release trigger. You have to keep your mind in the game. When you get a broken target or "no bird" you have to remember to push the lever while still holding the trigger, to disarm the gun. Once you are used to it, you do it without having to think to much about it. The first time is a little un-nerving.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.