1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

release trigger?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by James.c, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James.c

James.c Member

hey guys. i've been shooting for a while now and have been thinking about changing to a release trigger. i've only ever shot with a pull but i have tried a release before and wasnt half bad with it. I am a youth shooter and am looking for opinions on wether or not this would be a good or bad idea and why. any help would be appreciated. also if anyone knows how much a release trigger for a bt-100 is worth that would also be appreciated.thanks

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

James---Try reading this thread. It's virtually the same thing you asked.

Matt

3. Strait Shooter

Strait Shooter Member

James ,You can have your BT-100 pull trigger converted to release for approximately $200 give or take $20. You being a youth shooter, I would not recommend being in too big a hurry to do somthing just because someone else does it. Do whatever works best for you and you alone.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Wait a while, and see if you are hooked for life. Also, do you hunt, shoot rifle or handgun?

You have plenty of time to figure this out.

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Semd an email to Carl Chadwell as he went to a release as a yourth shooter. He turned out to be an All American.

Don

6. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

shooting a release at trap has not had any effect on my other shooting sports. A release is xtra money down the road.

7. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Some people naturally shoot a release better but generally switch to a release after they develop enough bad habits to flinch with a pull trigger and their shooting has become so poor they either go to a release or quit shooting. Unless your one of those elite big dogs most of us slowly develop more bad habits after switching to a release so if your young save the release for when you have to do something different or you may end up with no where to go if your shooting skills decline.Jerry

8. James.c

James.c Member

shooting coach: i do hunt very avidly and i was concerned wether i may discharge a fire arm accidentally while hunting because of the habit of shooting a release.Big Carl: unfortunately i dont have cal chadwells email. thanks

James.C

9. KenC

KenC Member

Go for the release trigger. It took me from "C" class to "A" class in one season (and I didn't practice very much). It had no effect on my hunting and shouldn't on anyone else either. Just remember, rule #3 of Col. Jeff Cooper's 4 rules of safe gun handling: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER TIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET.

10. njuliano

njuliano Member

JamesC. - You didn't mention if you had a flinch or not. I can tell you that I was flinching about 3 - 4 times per 100 targets. Most of the time they ended up a LOST target. I switch over to an ALLEMS ROLLER RELEASE a few months ago and it is the BEST thing I ever did. Not only did it stop the flinching (2500 Targets so far and no flinches) but my scores improved going from a low "B" Class to an high "A" Class. It also allows you to FOCUS better on the target since you can now forget about if you are going to flinch or not. It took me several hundred targets to adjust to the release but, love it now.

Totally agree with KenC on the safety thing though !!

Good Luck.. Nick

11. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

Unless you are flinching, stay with a pull! I would love to be able to go back to pulling the trigger. Tried it when I got my new gun this fall & made it through 5 targets before the evil "F" word came to visit. Was all down hill from there.

12. James.c

James.c Member

i dont think im flinching that often but i do think im doing it about once every 25 targets. is this enough to switch or chould i try to work it out first?

13. njuliano

njuliano Member

James - You are putting yourself at a big disadvantage in a sport where missing ONE target is often times the difference between a win or loss competition. I would try to resolve the flinch without going to a release first (lighter loads, recoil reducer, etc...). This may resolve the flinch or may not since RECOIL may not be the cause. If you are unable to correct it, I would try a friends gun that has a release. Shoot 100 targets or more if you do not flinch with the release, I would strongly consider going with the release. So if you had 4 lost targets due to a flinch in a 100 target shoot and you shot a 92 lets say....then you would have shot a 96 (approx) with the release may be even higher since you can now focus better on the target.

..Nick

14. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I would recommend to have your current trigger tuned up & remain Pull ( FIRST)
    I switched to release trigger when I was 30 yrs. old.
    I did this to improve on my control on angle targets.Not on flinching.
    I shoot pull for skeet & sporting clay.
    In looking back I think if I had a well tuned pull trigger it would have solved my problem 30 yrs. ago.
    Good well tuned triggers pull or release are very important.

Joe Woods/Ontario

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.