1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release Trigger Systems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Will Cam, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Will Cam

Will Cam TS Member

How many shooters, after much resistance, made the decison to go to either a release/pull or release/release system to cure flinching? I'm at that point in my life where it is becoming more of a problem.

After trying everything from lower velocity shells to electric shock (Joke), I'm about ready to try the switch over. Any thoughts or advise would be most helpful. All the best.

Will Cam

2. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Wait till U really have to---I went tooo early and wish I stayed with pull---I use a release fine and can hunt with a pull but very hard to go back to pull for trap---
    JMO---George@SJB---

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I switched because of a flinch and haven't regretted it for a second. My flinch has disappeared. Knock Knock on wood!!

Matt

4. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

There are lots of threads on this. Try it you will like it. Tom

5. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I'm with southblue try everything else first,that's the one place where better equipment can help a poor trigger can cause a flinch try having a smith give it a tune-up before you give up on the pull trigger.Jerry

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Will: I have wasted too many $$ on having triggers "tuned" to cure my flinch. It doesn't help. (At least for me). I tried the release trigger and my flinch was gone and my scores drastically improved. Go for it! Ed

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Will... There are many good reasons to go to a release trigger and no bad reasons, that I'm aware of. A good release trigger is just as good, and works just as well, or better, than a good pull trigger. The only difference you will notice right off the bat is the fact that the flinch is gone and the smooth feeling you get from releasing the trigger instead of pulling it. In days past, release trigger were somewhat finicky and hard to keep adjusted properly. They required a lot of attention to keep them tuned. Those days are long gone. The release triggers being made today are far superior to the older ones.... It doesn't matter whether you shoot a release or a pull trigger as long as you are still able to shoot without the dreaded flinch. There really should not be any stigma to switching to a release... Many of the top shooters in the country are release shooters and are very happy that way... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. schutzemgud

schutzemgud TS Member

Will Camm, If you need the release get it. If you are flinching you will need it. They are great. I try every now and again to go back to a pull trigger. All I can say is man is you can't go back home. My hat is off to anyone who can switch back and forth. I can't do it.

Mike

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I've had no problems switching back and forth. It does take a concious effort though. I could see it being tough for some though. Trust me, it was a worry of mine before i switched.

Matt

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

When switching back to a pull trigger for whatever reason it's best to repeat "pull trigger" three times before you're ready to shoot. In the meantime ignore all those misguided individuals with their multitude of useless "cures" for the flinch!!

11. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Do it and don't look back

12. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I went to a release, not because of a known flinch but because of low scores. It was unreal but my scores increased almost overnight. I kept shooting doubles, for a short time, with a pull trigger but that didn't last long before going to release. Wish now I had changed years before.

BB

13. Will Cam

Will Cam TS Member

My thanks to all that replied. I've been fighting this issue for awhile now and I keep telling myself, that I can beat it. And when things are going going well, it creeps in without warning. I'm looking at Allems and others for more information.

All the best in your shooting and may all your targets be smoke balls and 25's

Will Cam

14. njuliano

njuliano Member

WillCaM - I can relate to your frustration with flinching. I was flinching 3-4 times every 100 targets. What worked for me was trying a friends gun that had a release installed and shooting 100 + targets with it, guess what... NO FLINCHES!! I then purchased an ALLEMS ROLLER RELEASE and 3000+ targets later and still no flinches. It took me about 700 targets to adjust to the timing but, not difficult at all. I have had zero problems with the ALLEMS release, they work perfect and can be adjusted by changing the roller if needed. I have found the company excellent to work with and they really know their stuff when it comes to release triggers. I went with Release/Release.

Good Luck......Nick

15. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

There are two kinds of release trigger shooters, those that do and those that will. That said I am much happier with release. I did the release pull for doubles at first but now am double release. I too can switch back but guess what, the flinch has gone no where, it's just hiding and waiting for me to shoot pull. I like my double release and you will too. Jake. Oh and one more thing, I've seen just as many "Idiot" fires with pull triggers as release so that is really no big deal.

16. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Agree 100% with Trap-2 and Booger Blue. Also have absolutely NO problem when I use a pull trigger for hunting.

Trap-4

17. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

......As many others will tell you A release trigger will solve your problem.

If you are shooting a O/U go directly to a double release. Many try to use a release-- pull--This works for some but not for most.

The negatives about Release triggers are the obvious safety issues and a couple of other issues.

Sometimes you forget to set the trigger before you call for the bird...This does not work very well.

Also you may have the tendency to release your hand grip and shoulder pressure when you release the trigger--also not good...Good luck with your conversion .....SMOKIT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.