1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release trigger survey

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew

Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew TS Member

Been with a release since 1990. No problem with flinching. Just seems more natural to release than to pull when swinging a shotgun. But, I do use a pull trigger when shooting doubles. No problem with a pull trigger on the rifles and pistols.

Guess I got a messed up head???

2. darwinbene

darwinbene Member

Been using a release trigger for about two years now. It is great. I was flinching something terrible and the last time I flinched almost fell over shooting singles. It was in a practice round at the Spring Grand. That very day I went to see Ray Stafford about a Precision double release Trigger. Traded my double pull for a double release and took only about 50 rounds to get comfortable. I guess I was ready.

I think the best trigger on the market is the Precision release. Jim Coons is the originator and is currently working on manufacturing springs for it. He has worked out how to use the same spring for either side through a conversion of the trigger. I am sure it will be on the side of high dollar expense, but compared to using on spring for 10,000 to 20,000 rounds vs. 30,000 to 50,000 rounds it will be cheap. Like I said it is still in the R & D stage. He didn't say when he might be ready for market.

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

A gun I bought a couple years ago came with a release trigger and I thought I would try it. I used that gun exclusively for 4 months, 300 to 400 shells/week. I had a pull trigger installed after that time because I found that, for me, keeping tension in my finger before firing was far more unnatural than was a sharp action to fire the gun.

Morgan

4. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Tis more natural to pull than to release!

5. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Release, release/pull. Started flinching on first bird in doubles and then it progressed. I guess unlike the others, I really wish I could go back to a pull. I was shooting pretty good before it started and haven't been as consistent since.

Getting used to a release wasn't hard at all, it just seems that now, any slight change in the trigger and I have trouble, whereas before I could shoot anything, with any trigger.

6. tj303

tj303 Member

Double release. Krieghoff(good), Timney(terrible), Spears(good). Because of chronic flinching.

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have been using the release since 1990. I never had the "I can't pull the trigger" type of flinch but I was jerky with the Pull trigger. I would track the target and for just an instant stop the guns vertical rise and then pull the trigger. With a release trigger the 2 acts of tracking the target and shooting blend into one smooth operation and the gun keeps moving.

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I shoot double release's. I never had a flinching problem. I bought a Ljutic from a friend that came with a release trigger. I gave it a try, and have never looked back. It feels very smooth and much more natural to me to shoot. I have had Ljutic, P&P, Spears, Allem. Bowen, Rietz, White, and a McDaniels release trigger. They all were pretty good triggers, with the Rietz being the best of that bunch. That being said, I am now shooting a Precision double release in my DB-81 Combo, and it is, far and away, better than all the rest. Each release trigger maker has their specialty when it comes to guns so that will dictate whose trigger is best for your gun.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I would probably quit shooting before I'd go to a release, I have tried them just for kicks and they just plain feel unnatural to me ... I have heard of people going to the Precision trigger (pull) and been able to continue to shoot without flinching, so I'd possibly give that a try before quitting all together ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. gamehog2

gamehog2 TS Member

Double release in a k-80 Trap Special. Have a Browning that was converted by Allem's they did a great job. Started flinching of a sort and got where I would not pull the trigger. Shot a 92 in the first handicap I shot with a borrowed KS-5 set up release. Only shot 1 practice round with it. Guess it was the right thing to do for me.

Darrel

11. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

singles release, doubles, release/release. I got to where I was flinching 5-6 times per hundred. I haven't flinched since. I have a P & P release in the Ljutic, factory in the Kolar, and a Roman in the 3200.

12. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Precision is probably the best pull or release you can get for a Perazzi. I've tried all the others mentioned, save the Roman, in various guns and in my view none, including the Precision, are in the same league with the Alfermann single. Eight years, 120k rounds with no "tune ups" and set and release pressures have never changed....and soooo quick. Next time you see Merlin or Larry/Gary have them show you the workings...amazing.

I use both pull and release in different guns, but prefer the release in the Alfermann. It's strange I can remember pulling a trigger, but not releasing one.

Buz

13. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Started using a release in a model 12 in 1968 because of failure/refuse of the brain to let me pull the trigger. I have eleven release triggers. Roman double release in my 3200 combo, Allem in my TMX Spc., Kolar in my 90-T, P & P in my 1100 Rem., Three release triggers for my TM-1's (Bowen, Allem, Spear}, 391 Beretta has a P & P, Model 12 W/Wright, MX-10 RS with double release Allem and double release Precision. I personally don't like the Precision as I can't seem to set it for the second shot in doubles, ergo I use the Allem. Richard

14. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Spears release in my BT 99 Plus. Never a problem, it works great and it only cost $265.00

15. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Mine (Kreighoff) cost over 6000, but they threw the rest of the combo in for free.

Rickyd

16. spritc

spritc Active Member

Release/Pull, Kolar, old guy flinch!

Steve

17. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

18. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I switched to a release trigger on all my target guns about 4 years ago. I have double releases on the O/U's. I HAD to switch or give up shooting. I was flinching so bad it was pathetic.

When I switched to release triggers, my shooting immediately improved considerably. It continued to improve for the next 2 or 3 years, but now has leveled off or even declined some recently for reasons not related to the trigger.

Spears has done all my release triggers except for a Schwab release for an 870 Remington which I purchased from an individual on this board. I highly recommend Spears and would have no hesitation to use his triggers on any gun that I might own. In fairness, I have not used other release triggers (for more than a few shots) so I can't say whether the Spears release is superior to them or not.

Oh, I forgot. I did have a Timney release on an 1100 for a short while. It was terrible and after several attempts by Timney to make it work right, he finally refunded my money.

Easystreet

19. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

Double, P&P, Spears, Roman and Timney

Target hesitation.

Good Luck,

Jim

20. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

pull and pull/pull. about 10 to 12,000 registered targets per year (total of all disciplines - singles, doubles, handicap) and I shoot 1 1/8 oz for everything but the first shot of doubles. While many here think God is a joke, I think the same thing about flinches and release triggers - it is all in your mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.