1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release Trigger Speed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 870, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Would use of a heavier sear spring "speed-up" an 870 release, everything else being equal?

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I don't see how it would affect it at all. Your trigger finger determines when the sear releases the hammer. A hammer spring, yes.

3. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I don't see how the hammer spring would effect the release time, I'm not talking about lock-time in that sense. Seems to me a stronger sear spring would be pushing your finger out quicker, speeding up the release?

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

870 Once a release is set the sear has already been released and the hammer is now being held by the hook and your fingers pressure on the trigger. A lighter hook spring will allow it to lift with less pressure from the hammer but won't really make it much faster just more sensitive. A heavier hammer spring will make the hammer travel faster and will add a little to how fast the hook releases (again more sensitive).

--- Chip King ---

5. 870

870 Well-Known Member

IIRC, on my release the sear doesn't release the hammer on the set. The hook just catches a notch in the sear, and then pulls the sear back when released. That is why it seems to me the sear spring would come into play.

Anyone out there familar with 870 releases?

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I have 1100 releases and the 870 is probably similar? Not much travel between the set and release on mine. B303 set is different in the forward movement of the hammer on it.

Stronger hammer springs will add some speed too.

Hap

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

As for the actual speed of the release trigger, it is dependent on the difference between the triggers "set" point and the "release" point. The closer together these 2 are, the faster the speed of the release. Example: A trigger that sets at 51/2lbs and releases at 26oz will be much slower than a trigger that sets at 5lbs and releases at 32oz..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Right, I follow that. The question is can it be sped-up with spring changes and not removing metal? I believe releases "slow-down" over time and need new springs.

Everything else remaining the same, with a heavier spring, the set is higher and the release will also be higher, which is what I think I am looking for. My point is that with the heavier spring, the travel-distance required to release (a constant in this scenario) will be covered in a shorter time frame, thus a quicker release.

9. B.C.

B.C. Member

Yes changing your spring as you describe will do what you want ! B.C.

10. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Thanks B.C!

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

870... No..... you will have a faster lock time, or "hammer fall", not a faster release trigger. There is a fine line between the two. Ideally, the 870 and 1100 triggers should be equipped with heavier springs AND have the trigger set and release points tuned. This will give you a much faster trigger and a much quicker lock time. What you are saying is you want the gun to go off faster AFTER you release the trigger, correct? This is controlled, somewhat, by the heavier springs. On the other hand, the speed of the actual release of the trigger from the set point can only be accomplished by making the "release" point faster. Either way, trying to make an 870 or 1100 trigger fast, such as those on a break open gun, is like telling a hair raising story to a bald headed man. A total waste of energy. It is just one of the mysteries of the universe, and one of the constants in life..... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

12. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if you are following me or not Dan. What does increasing the sear spring pressure have to do with speeding up the hammer fall? I believe that the release has slowed over the years and I'm flinching a little.

I am trying to speed up the time it takes between the set point and the release, not anything after that. Seems to me I've often heard releases will slow as the springs weaken. If true, it seems that you should be able to speed them back up with new springs, not filing metal or something else.

I am well aware an 870 cannot be made to have a quick lock time like th eother guns mentioned. I just want it back to where it used to be, and would like to avoid filing if possible.

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Timney introduced the SPEEDLOCK trigger for the 870 & 1100 you will see the hammer is slotted and longer than factory hammer, and the spring loaded block that drives the hammer is slotted so it can properly cock. And it has a heavier Hammer Spring.

I just bought a Remington 11-87 and a steel timney speedlock trigger assy.

There was a guy thyat lived across the street from Jaquas that built Release triggers for the 870s and 1100s

I used a lot of his triggers, I know his name but for the life of me it has slipped my mind. His name was Schwab I remembered at last. Thought it was a Alzheimers moment.

The hammer was lightened w/ the slot and heavy spring made it faster.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Some of you worry about the damnest things.

Don

15. sxs28ga

sxs28ga TS Member

You need to write santa - you've been good - he wont let you down - Time for a new gun - you've been putting it off for ever - go for it!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.