1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release Trigger Specifications?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Star4Ever, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

I was talking to a friend of mine at the range regarding release triggers. I have a Remington 90T HPAR that has a trigger set that I would like to make into a release.

My buddy asked me what poundage pull and release would I want to have built?

"For instance I have a 5 3 release.... which sets at 5 pounds of pull and releases at 2 pounds of release... the 3 is the difference between the pull and release."

So is that how release triggers are specified? Also I have tried his gun with the 5-3 and it is really fine to me...

Any help for someone new to release triggers would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone has a release for a 90T... I may be interested.

Happy Holidays!
    Art

2. beaker100

beaker100 Member

hi star, the release can be adjusted by the gunsmith for most tastes. some like fast triggers, some like medium triggers. and some like slow triggers.

a 5 pound set and a 3 pound release would be a nice medium trigger. 2 pounds between set and release.

the gunsmith you choose will be able to set this trigger up for you.

call or email if you have any questions. thanks doug hubbart gunsmith jd28hd@aol.com

3. multifired

multifired Member

I don't like to be contradictory, but. . . 5lbs is a pretty light set. Tom Seitz who was famous for his barrel work also made excellent releases. His advice was to set the trigger "hard" and it was certainly more then 5lbs. In his mind the actual set poundage did not matter because the correct method was to set it "hard". Also a 3lb release would be extremely "fast". I am sure if you check with Allems, Precision, Phillip they would all tell you 480z is a really "fast" release trigger. Most would say 25oz is slow and 35oz is getting fast. Just for the record I've shot releases for 30 years. Tom

4. doc boc

doc boc Member

I like my release set for 5 lb set and 2 lb release. this is a fairly slow release. my hands are not large so this works best for me. some people like a heavier set and or 3 lb release. jim Coumbs from precision set his about 5 and 2. doc

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I prefer a 56 oz set and a 28oz release. been shooting a release for 40+ years

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

So... The LESS pounds or ounces of release the SLOWER it is?
    And the MORE pounds of release the FASTER it is?

Can someone explain this? I would think it to be the opposite.

Thanks all for the good posts... I am learning.
    Art

7. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

the higher the release the faster it will let go when you release the trigger. think about it hard. low pressure will release it slower higher spring pressure will push the trigger forward faster. happy holidays

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Where ever you set the trigger add a little creep. I found that I need that creep or the trigger will go off, sometimes before I expect it.

9. beaker100

beaker100 Member

hi star,
    set 5 pounds, relaese 3 pounds, 2 pounds between set and release. your finger has to loose 2 pounds of pressure = medium trigger.

set 5 pounds, release 4 pounds, 1 pound between set and release. your finger has to loose 1 pound of pressure = fast trigger

set 5 pounds, release 2 pounds, 3 pounds between set and release. your finger has to loose 3 pounds of pressure = slow trigger.

the numbers are not terrably important as long as the set is 4 pounds or 4.5 pounds or higher. having a set at this weight makes the shooter get a grip on the trigger. if the set is too light the shooter sometimes has a problem with control of the trigger after the trigger is set.

what is important is that the difference between set and release is what works for that particular shooter. some shooters want a fast trigger, some want a medium trigger, and some want a slow, very deliberate trigger. it is also important that the trigger is consistant going off at the same time cycle after cycle after cycle. knowing what you need, slow, medium, or fast, is a trial and error project. try triggers that your friends have and compare them to see what works best for you.

there is also one other thing to consider with a release trigger. this is what i call the finger. do you want a little movement in the trgger when it releases or do you want to just get to the poundage of the release and the gun fires without noticable finger movement. this personal preference of the shooter and the gunsmith you choose can set up the trigger to what works well for you.

hope this helps doug hubbart gunsmith

10. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

beaker100 (Doug) excellant job of explaining, Merry X-mas. Scott

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

6.5 lb.set/2.5lb. release works for me!!

12. beaker100

beaker100 Member

scott, thanks and Merry Christmas!

user1, i do expect that people reading this will use a little common sence. sorry i did not make it clear. i my opinion, the timing between set and release is the most important factor, as long as the set is over 4 pounds. (please note previous post). if the set is too light all kinds of problems will show up as the shooter, in my opinion, needs to get a good grip, (set) to work his or her timing from. that all said , more than one shooter has asked for a set in the 6 pound to 8 pound range.
    i think the key to what i was trying to express is find a gunamith you can work with to help find what combination of numbers and finger fit into your particular shooting style. again sorry for any confusion my lack of ability at expressing myself my have caused.
    all good and Merry Christmas. doug hubbart gunsmith

13. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

BREAKER100:
    Thank you SO MUCH for that great definition and explaination of slow vs fast triggers. I now GOT IT! (Thick).

I have 2 types of trigger pull gauges.

One is a Lyman electronic and the other is an RCBS spring with a slide bar readout.

How does one go about measuring the release poundage?

Merry XMAS!
    Art

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

poundage set for release trigger