1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

release trigger shooters....how many use them ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pete3, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete3

Pete3 TS Member

Is there any way to find out how many ATA shooters use a release trigger.
    I am wondering what percentage of Veteran or Sr.Veteran A or AA shooters find they had to go to release triggers.Is it common practice or not?

I have a feeling that if one shoots Trap long enough, the dreaded "F" often sneaks in and a trigger system change may be required in order to stay competitive.

Does anyone have any data relating to this topic?

Pete Giddings-Canada

2. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

My first trap gun had a release trigger and my FFL couldn't wait to be rid of it. So, I bought it at a very good price and have used a release since. Didn't need the release at the time, but the gun was nice and so I bought it.

I have since tried pull triggers on trap and don't do well. Funny, because I can shoot a rifle, pistol and a shotgun at skeet and SC with a pull trigger with no difficulty.

I have two Precisions for my Perazzis and just had a release put in my BT-99.

Bob

3. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

My first trap gun was a used Ljutic with a release trigger. I bought it because for the price I paid I could easily replace the release trigger with a pull trigger and still be way ahead. After shooting the Ljutic, however, I liked the release so much that to this day I've never changed it back to a pull design...

4. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

The majority of my shooting acquaintances ages 50-75 use release triggers, and I began using them at age 37 (1977) with a serious flinch problem a couple of years into this game. I believe the pre-mount shooting procedure used in trap has a lot to do with it, as it seems to add some amount of tension to the firing procedure. The less amount of gun movement in trap, as opposed to skeet and sporting clays may also have something to do with it. I do shoot a lot of clays and skeet and use double-release with those games as well. Had I never shot so much trap before these games I probably would never have used releases. Another point to make for the use of releases in trap is that some choose them over pull triggers, without the flinch problem, believeing they are more controlable than pull triggers. I make this statement without any intent of stirring up a debate on the subject, but I've been told that by some number of shooters. In any case, I would have to think that somewhere around 40% of trapshooters are using release triggers.

Larry

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Almost 50 years of trap shooting with a pull trigger. Tried a release once and hit 3 out of 10 flinching all over the place. Too much to think about with a release for me.

Eric

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have two dozen

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Someone please explain why you buy a shotgun for thousands of dollars and there are no adjustments for the pull trigger. Weight of pull, sear engagement(creep), or over travel. No adjustment screws at all. Makes no sense to me. HMB

8. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

I use one.. but never had a flinch problem. I shoot pull for sporting and hunting.. only use the release shooting trap. I think it's a better mouse trap!!

9. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

It's not for me. I just couldn't get use to it.

10. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Yep double release

11. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Only pull for me because that's what my Dad's trap gun came with.

Harry

12. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I have shot a release for around 30 years. I just liked the idea. However if I had it to do over I would stay with a pull and shoot lighter shells! I believe the flinch is a recoil problem not a trigger problem.

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Tried one & like "mixer" didn't like it, put the pull back in (still have the release) and almost 50 years later still pulling. Ross Puls

14. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Well I just got a release from Allem. His roller kind. Nice trigger. Crisp with his #3 roller. First 6 rounds 24,24,24,23,23,24. Still flinching. I think I have a visual problem. Eyes are 20/20. I'm loosing the bird and panicing. Whether I'm swinging across the bird or just plain not concentrating. Don't know yet. Was flinching with the pull for 5 years. Dave T.

15. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Shooting 10 years and started flinching. Went to a release back in April, flinching stopped and scores went back up.

16. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I shot registered targets for 10 years with a pull trigger and had
    no flinching issues. But then, the dreaded flinch started. I don't
    know why, as I never flinch with a rifle or handgun. I went to a
    release about '82. Now I hardly ever flinch. Maybe once in 500
    targets. A release also allowed me to take the targets quicker.
    With a pull trigger, I rode the bird more. I could never go back
    to a pull trigger for trap. I don't have any problems though with a pull
    for sporting clays. Go figure!

17. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

HMB so what you got in the 3200?

18. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Had a release installed in my CG Combo last year. Could not get used to
    it. Went back to Pull-Pull and scores are coming up.
    Releasing way to fast.

19. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

I had to go to a release this year after flinching so bad at the Grand with my pull trigger I could hardly pull the trigger on the second target in doubles before it hit the ground.I've been shooting trap since 1977.For me it was either go to a release or give up the game.Since I've switched it just seems that my swings are smoother and I'm breaking the first bird in doubles faster.This weekend will be the maiden voyage as far as registerd targets go,we'll see what happens when the pressure is on.Allen Tomenitz (sorry if that's been mispelled) once told that if he were to start a new shooter out he would start him right out with a release trigger.For anyone that doesn't remember Al he was one of the tuffest All American Senior Vet shooters to ever snap a cap.If you think about it it only makes sense that it would be easier to swing while rlaxing a muscle rather then tense a muscle.When you throw a ball you relax your arm muscle and let it go.Same deal with a release.I know my practice doubles shooting has definetly improved since shooting the release.I think some people that try releases and don't like them may be just shooting the wrong release speed for them.The first two releases I tried were way to fast for me and if thats what I would have had to shoot,wouldn't have been able to handle a release either.There are,I'm finding out,big differences in releases and once Allems gives me the ok to send my spare trigger to them will be having one of their roller releases installed in it.

20. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

Ive seen many unintentional discharges from the guys to my left with release triggers,always an expert with a k gun.

at least they are pointing downrange when it happens,and i`ll give them a sarcastic "OOOPS!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what percent of trap shooters use release triggers