1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release trigger set/release weights

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by glenn mcleod, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Explain the set/release weight thing to me. If the trigger sets at 5# and releases at 2# or a different gun that sets at 4# and releases at 1# which is the faster trigger or are they the same because of the 3# difference between set & release. Is the 2# release of the first gun faster or is the 1# release on the second gun faster?. Glenn

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Glenn. Adn don't forget "duration". A fast trigger is one that has a smaller percentage of weight differential between the set ahd let-go. Adn the Duration is the drag of hook to hammer. Your 4 and 1 would be slow. Really slow would be 3 and zero....

Wait now... I hear a stampede of clacking on the keyboard... More comieng.

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Glenn... To try to explain things even further, say you have a trigger that sets at 5lbs. and releases at 26oz. If you increase the set to 51/2lbs and leave the release point at 26oz's, you will have a slower trigger, even though your release point remained the same. You now have a longer "duration" time from set point to release point that Jack eludes to above... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The amount of brain damage transmitted to the shooter is directly proportional to the difference between set point and release point. HMB

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

When my trigger would set at 5 lb and go off at 32 oz, I thought it was too fast for me and led to short shooting the bird. I am much happier after the gunsmith slowed it down to release at 26 oz.

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Dan is right. Two things that determine how fast a trigger will release are the difference in weight between the set weight and the release weight, and the amount of distance the the hammer notches travels along the sear - what we call "creep" or "drag." However, don't think that fast is necessarily good.
    Both of the above increase the chance that your trigger will release accidentally, or that it will release before your gun has gotten to the break point.
    Lock time is a different animal, since it is measured by the time it takes the hammer to strike the primer after it has been released. The rule of thumb I have always heard is that the optimum setting for a release trigger is 80 ounces set and 20 ounces release.

7. vdt

vdt Active Member

48-24

8. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

48-24 sounds like a girl I once dated. I think that she went into show business.

Ed Yanchok

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Ed... I remember her as I think I dated her as well. She went on to be billed as "Alexandria the great and her pair of 48's"...... Great personality... Dan Thome (Trap2)

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Can you post some pictures. HMB

11. Snooky

Snooky Member

Is it the norm to have different set and release points between the top and bottom barrel if so how much? Should the break points be exact everytime?

Thanks,
    Snooky

12. dward

dward Member

In my opinion a release triggers speed is primarily determined by its release point/weight. I have a few release triggers with different set points (4,5 &5-1/2 lbs), and when I set any of them I believe I hold them all the same, which is probably somewhere around 7 lbs. It would be interesting to put a weight gauge on each release trigger to see how consistent the "hold" weight is for different shooters. As far as the difference between set and release it's necessary to have the set point a minimum of about 2lbs above the release point to make sure the gun never goes off if you get lazy/slow while setting the trigger. I had this happen once when it was real cold and my finger was numb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.