1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release trigger ?'s

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kiwiG, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Release trigger ?

Hi Guy's. I don't shoot a release currently, nor am I forced to for any reason. With a loss of 'competitive edge' and fewer discretionary $'s I have re-evaluated shooting from being a competitive outlet to fun hobby. I have been looking at a cheap release trigger advertised on here and thought "That might be fun". My ? is this..."Does anyone here routinely swap between release and standard triggers just for the fun of it?". Thanks for your time-Graham.

2. setter

setter Member

Although I have tried a release I could still shoot behind targets, still shooting a pull. Don't know of anyone that routinely switches between the two for competition. Some that have gone to a release are able to use a pull for hunting.

3. alf174

alf174 Member

I shoot release for trap and usually a pull for sporting clays.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I shoot a release for singles and caps and a pull/pull for dbls. I hunt with a pull,shoot SC,5 stand and skeet with a pull.

A problem I've observed with some people shooting a release is relaxing the control hand way too much when releasing the trigger. It makes a difference in how you maintain control of the gun and the shot at that critical point.

Hap

5. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Graham,

I do not know anybody who swings from pull to Release and back again just for "Fun", I know a few who do it on a serious basis.

I am one of those weirdo's who shoot Release-Pull for doubles and any other DTL events that allow double barrel shooting with a mounted gun,(I am in Australia)

I shoot Pull-Pull for Sporting, Skeet and hunting anything that allows me to shoot gun down, soon as I mount before firing you guessed it flinch returns in 2-3 shots.

And it's not because we are from the Southern Hemisphere (Downunder) I have shot all over America and there are lots of Trapshooters in the USA just as crazy as me, though I do believe Double Release is more common in the US.

I do have 3 Trap U/O's that all have Release-Pull also Beretta 391 Auto with Release, takes 1 shot to get used to double Release with auto, 2-3 to go back to Release-Pull with U/O.

Having said all this all I know if it was not for Release Triggers I would have given the game away ten years ago.(All my shooting buddies would take one step back when I mounted my gun before calling PULL, did not do anything for my confidence).

I shoot @ Sydney CTC most every weekend (300-400 members) and there is only 3 guy's that shoot Release that I know of,no where near as popular as in the States.

Good Luck with your fun.

"Release Trigger"...aka. Gary Kennerson.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Pete Mccall used to change from release to pull and back to release in doubles using two different guns. Never seen any one else do that though. Oh, this was at the Kentucky State Shoot and he ran them.

7. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Thanks Guys. It seems like it is possible, though not necessarily recommended, to switch between the 2. It just looked like a bit of fun (even if reserved for the practice trap) and at this stage I am happy to maximise the fun element of shooting, and not get too het-up over scores or trophies. A couple of hours 'overtime' next week and I'll make serious enquiries. Thanks again-Graham.

8. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Zards,

Yes Allan is one of my close shooting bud's we travel to most shoots together.

We will both be @ Iowa State and Sparta this year, we attended the Grand @ Vandalia from 96 thru 04. Medical probs curtailed 05-07-09 hopefully that is all behind me know.

Allan got runner-up in the Presidents Handicap @ Vandalia I think 2002.
    3 of us travel together and that year we all shoot very well and won considerable money.

This year the Boss is coming (wife) so I will have to be on best behavior.

Gary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.