1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release trigger question....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GoldEx, Jul 20, 2013.

1. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

A question for those of you that may know. Several years ago when I determined that I needed to go to a release due to a developing flinch, I borrowed a friends BT-99 Plus that had a release in it for a season to insure that it would fix the problem and that I could make the transition to a release smoothly. Both went well. I later found a receiver that had double releases installed already and by chance, fit the barrels of my Citori combo and have been shooting that ever since also without issue. My question is this... I see several people discussing their particular release and mentioning a particular set weight and a particular let off weight. How does one determine what weight to use? I am sure that regardless of the let off weight, your brain would calculate the correct lead based on the release weight/lock time in fairly short order but gunsmith trial and error for something like that seems a bit expensive. Is there a rule of thumb for a release trigger like let off weight is half of set weight? I'm just curious. I have no idea what weight my gun's trigger weights are at now. Does it really matter?

Jeff

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Rchapman you have part of it correct 5lb set=80 ounces and the release is 48 ounces which is on the fast side, I for one want the release 1/2 of the set.

I personally us 3.5lb set = 56 ounces and a 28 ounce release, but that is my choosing, I like the set to be normal pull weight.

I could handle 60 ounce set and 30 ounce release which is also good.

A trigger that releases less than 1 lb is a slow trigger.

The closer the numbers are the faster the trigger.

I got rid of my Fabarms XLR-5 it had a 120 ounce set which was a 7.5 lb set
    and a 20 ounce release that is SSsssllllllloowwwww, SLOW

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Check the link out for Pat McCarthy release for Blazer http://www.dawsonent.com/page.htm?PG=BlaserREL
    "--Release adjustable from 24-36 oz."
    This is the range for release triggers.
    I have shot 16oz-20oz release triggers to slow.
    It is a good idea to know what your settings are, and check them, sears do wear and springs weaken over time.
    You can change the release triggers by changing either the set or release.
    The closer the set and release are the faster they are.
    Example: My bottom trigger is 4 lbs 64oz sett and 32 oz release. If I want to speed the trigger up I decrease the set or increase the release weight, less than <64 oz or greater than >32 oz. Either change sett or release will change it to a faster trigger.
    If I want to slow down the trigger do the opposite >64 oz or <32 oz. 10Tenner

4. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Thanks for the input!

Jeff