1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release trigger question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sporting clay, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sporting clay

sporting clay Member

I have been thinking about going to a release trigger for my CG and have a question. Here's the scenario, report pair, break the first bird, second bird broken off trap, no bird. Now what? Trigger has been pulled, do I waste a shot in the air or can the gun be open without firing?

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

While holding the trigger back, reach over with your weak hand and open the action. When it opens, release the trigger.

Keep the muzzle pointed at something you won't mind shooting!

Jim

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Once you get used to the release; it is no problem clearing the gun. As Jim stated, hold the trigger back and use your weak hand to open the action. Just be sure to keep the gun pointed down range.

4. sporting clay

sporting clay Member

OK, thanks for the input. Here's another one. What about lock time, faster or slower?

5. beaker100

beaker100 Member

dosen't change as the spring (main spring or hammerspring) is not modified by the installation of a release trigger by any gunsmith i am aware of. doug hubbart gunsmith

6. sporting clay

sporting clay Member

makes sense, thanks Doug. One of my release shooting friends tells me he knows a lot of shooters that have gone to release a trigger but doesn't know of anyone going back. I'm wondering how long until it is second nature (no thinking pull, release.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Sc, for many it's only an issue of remembering what you have in the gun. When you shoot the missing bird before calling it, which by the way is a "no target", you'll remember!

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"I'm wondering how long until it is second nature (no thinking pull, release."

SC, it won't take long before becomming accustomed to a release trigger. The setting the release will become almost an automatic thing for you but if the release part ever become automatic, your scores may suffer that habit. Regardless of a pull or release trigger, you still have to make the correct bird/bead relationship before acting on it! I've always reminded myself to hold it till I see the correct picture before letting it go? Works well for me and always has since my first time using a release trigger in competition. I shot a 198 my first time with one!

Hap

9. beaker100

beaker100 Member

frank little always said 5000 shells to internalize major changes. that said i think big m said it right...keep your head in the game you'll be all right...doug

10. 8 Straight

8 Straight Active Member

I am going to go out on a limb and say you should be pretty used to it within 10 rounds, probably less. It took me less than that, and if I hadn't switched to a release, I would be doing something else for a hobby. I have possibly the worst flinch in the sport of trapshooting. What surprised be even more was all the longer it took to make the switch to double release for doubles. I was pretty sure I could not get my brain wrapped around that method, but after about 3 rounds, I had no problem. Your experience may vary.

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Put snap cap in and practice shooting the gun. Practice getting out of the release so that 1st time you get a no bird isn't the 1st time you get out of the set. Some new release shooters swing to the bird, stop and then release. Practice will cure that.

After a few 1000 birds you will not even think about it, it will just be a part of you.

Welcome to the real world.

Don

12. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I do like my release trigger. Once you have used it a little you will grow fond.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

getting use to a release trigger trapshooting