1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release Trigger Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by K005, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K005

K005 Member

What is the normal release force or point for a release trigger? By that I mean what is difference between setting the release minus the actual release of the trigger. For example I have a release trigger that takes 3-1/4 lbs to pull and set the hammer. Then the hammer falls at 2-1/4 lbs for a difference of 1 lb. Is this considered fast. I checked two of my friend's and theirs is a 2 lb difference. I just tried to switch to a release about six weeks ago and am having problems with the gun firing when on my shoulder, not intending to fire. After not curing the problem, I switched back to a pull trigger. So what is normal?
    Bob K. 5719005

2. nomoloscofoso

nomoloscofoso Member

Ya gotta be smarter than the part! As for me the release is smarter. I just can not handle it!

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

That release you described is usually too fast!!

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Relax Bob... Not to worry. A release trigger can usually be set up as fast, or as slow, as a shooter wants. Since you are relativly new to release triggers, I would suggest the following "starting point" for yours. Have it set at 88oz. for the "set" point, and have the release set at 28oz. As you can see, there is a substantial difference between a trigger set like this, and a trigger set like yours that is a little too fast. There will be no problems with flinching, or with the trigger going off before you are ready with this set-up. You are in total control of the trigger from the time you set it to the time you release it. With a faster trigger such as yours, there is a tendency to release the trigger far too soon, and you will short shoot a lot of targets, especially the angles. With a slower release, such as I indicated above, you not only have plenty of time to get to the target smoothly, but it also allows you to release the trigger when you know the sight picture is right. As I said, not to worry. Just enjoy shooting it when you have it right, cause it's a blast to finally be back in control of the target instead of the target being in control of me.. Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. K005

K005 Member

Thanks for the encouragement Dan. I shot approximately 400 targets before going to a tournament on Sunday. I thought I had the misfire problem fixed, but Sunday I had 3 in 50 targets, then switched back to the pull, too disruptive for the squad. Your advise make sense. I'll shoot the pull at the 50 bird jackpot shoots and see how it goes. I'll think about the release over the winter. Bob K.

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

MOst competent release shooters have a set that ranges between 4 and 5 lbs, and a release point of about 27-28 ounces. NS YOU REALLY NEED TO TELL US THE TRIGGER YOU HAVE to tell you where to send it. Send it back to the place that made it is preferable

If you can shoot pull as well, DO NOT go to a release.

7. K005

K005 Member

I got the release trigger fixed. I sent the trigger back to Kolar on the 14th and got it back today. I forgot the set and release points that Kolar set it to, but I can tell the difference. I bought the gun used and never shot the release until a few weeks ago, so I don't know what happened or why it was set so light. Anyway the problem is corrected. Kolar put a new release hook in and went through normal maintenance on the trigger. Kolar really has outstanding service.

MIA: The reason I decided to shoot the release is that I think I am flinching. I can shoot a pull trigger, but I found myself hesitating to pull the trigger two or three times in a 100 target event on some days, but not all the time.

Thanks for all the advice. Bob K,

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Your 52 ounce set is about right but your 36 oz release should be lowered to 26 oz release, 56 & 28 is good.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

K005:

You have a private message.

sissy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.