1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Release trigger question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gil, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gil

Gil Member

I have my release triggers set at 7 pounds and release at 5 pounds. My question is: Is there any difference between triggers set at 8# and 6#s or in another words, does it make any difference as long as the set and release are the same? I know if the set gets too high or low, problems can occurr but my question is the same. If the difference between set and release is the same amount, does it make any difference what set poundage you start with?? George Miller
  2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Wow! Those are odd numbers. usually something like 5# set, 2# release is normal I believe..
  3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Well-Known Member

Way too fast for humans!!
  4. Gil

Gil Member

My question relates to the difference of 2# from 7 to 5 or 8 to 6 without reference to how fast the triggers are. Does anyone have an opinion on where you start as long as the difference is the same? George Miller
  5. Ed Y

Ed Y Active Member

the dawg's got it right. Way too fast.

Ed Yanchok
  6. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Why would being too fast be a problem?
  7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

because it allows accidental discharges because of the small difference in weights...
  8. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

That has to be LIGHTING FAST and what I would call a HAIR trigger. I once shot a man's gun that you had to keep your trigger finger knuckle white tight or the thing went off!! I have always liked 80/30 ; 80oz or 5b set and release 30oz or not quite 2 lb release. Remember the larger the number on the release side....the faster she goes. run'em
  9. beaker100

beaker100 Member

hi george, 2 lbs is 2 lbs wether it is 5-3, 6-4, 7-5, or 8-6. on a personal note i do not consider 2 lbs between set and pull fast. i would call it medium. good release triggers are set for the shooter who is shooting them and that is where a good relationship between the shooter and gunsmith is important. jmo doug hubbart gunsmith
  10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

I dis-agree your release should be 1/2 of the set pressures Most factory releases are very close to 60 oz set and 30 oz release These were the settings on my Silver Seitz and on my Caesar Guerini Combo and now on my Blaser F3 Super Trap,

8 lb set is 128 ozs, 5 lb release is 75 ozs this is a fairly fast trigger.

But I feel 8 lbs is an obscenely heavy set.

But each shooter is his own judge of what he or she wants

I have never seen a trigger with that heavy of a set on a release.

a 60 oz set and a 30 oz release is std. and 56 oz set and 28 oz release is std.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.