1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release Trigger Question????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ron Burdick, Dec 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Active Member

Which setting is a faster release?

80oz set-----40oz release

80oz set-----24oz release

2nd Question

Will a fast release give the appearance of shooting behind the bird if you miss? It feels like I am letting the trigger go just as I touch the rear-end of the bird.

I am just trying to get somethings figured out in my head.

Ron Burdick

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

The 80/40 is faster release than the 80/24. Whether this has anything to do with your problem is not clear to me. If you just got the release trigger, you may need a bit of time to get used to it.

Easystreet

3. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

That's interesting. I thought it would be the lighter release that would be quicker. Easystreet, can you tell us why that is?

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The heavier release weight is considered faster because you are holding the trigger with 80 ounces of force and as you release it the force diminishes from 80 to 0.
    Since the force you're applying is reduced, it reaches 40 ounces before it gets to 20 ounces, so that release is faster.
    Like fast pull triggers the tendency is for the gun to fire before you've had time to get the barrel
    ahead of the target-at least until you get used to it.

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

It is my recomm3endation that you get a trigger that operates near the 4.5 set and 2 lbs as a release. Precison, Allems are mostly these numbers. And can be ordered as such. DO NOT learn to shoot some odd settings. You will never be able to change. Well Never is a long time but chanbing release points on a new trigger is at a minimum a 5000 target retraining of your coordination.

6. THE REBEL

THE REBEL TS Member

Ron if you need some release stickers P M your address THE REBEL ( JOHN A BELL)

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You may need a little creep in your trigger. Even now I occasionally let up before I get to the target, especially on hard lefts.

8. big goose 22

big goose 22 TS Member

Who would you recommend to put adouble release,for a special trap citori?

9. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hey Ron,

Keep it simple.....just point and click...or in your case unclick. LOL Can't wait to see the new Seitz.

Big Goose 22,

Release for a Citori?

Allem roller release is the best out there.

Dave

10. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Active Member

big goose 22

From everything I read on here, I think I would check out "Philip Crenwelge" he runs "Phillip's Gunsmithing"

I want to thank everybody else that sent me information on the release trigger settings for my new Silver Seitz. I have been shooting release for 15+ years it is just that this trigger seems faster than my K-80 was.

Ron Burdick

11. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Ron,

In my opinion, a release trigger should have about 2.75 to 3.25 pounds (i.e. 44 to 52 ounces) difference between the set weight and the release weight.

So if your trigger sets at 80 ounces, you want it to release around 28 to 36 ounces. Just my opinion as to what works best for me.

Rastoff, as Dickgtax explained, if you are holding a trigger set at 80 ounces and begin releasing pressure, you will reach 40 ounces of pressure before you reach 24 ounces of pressure. Therefore, the 80/40 is faster than the 80/24.

Take care, and Merry Christmas to all.

Easystreet

12. pulllit

pulllit Member

Ron,

You have a PM

13. big goose 22

big goose 22 TS Member

daddioo, you have a pm

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Yes, your Seitz is quicker & you will short shoot it for awhile. I had Dennis put a little creep in one of my Infinitys. It made a world of difference---Don't have anyone work on your gun but the original builder.

Phil Berkowitz

15. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Ron,

I am currently shooting a Citori with a Phillip's release-pull trigger. I have a new Blaser on it's way with a release-release trigger. I expect I will be experiencing the same adjustment of feeling like I am shooting behind the targets until I get used to the new gun. I expect to receive my new gun in about a week and a half. Just sent the check yesterday and the store is closed until January 2.

Good Luck

Jim Bradbury

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.