1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release trigger question about switching

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hubcap, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Have any of you guys switched to a release trigger BEFORE you developed a flinching problem?

If so, why did you switch?

Hubcap

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

No, in my case it was go to a release or go to a bowling alley! LOL

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Hubcap.... I never developed a flinch before going to a release. I bought a Ljutic from a friend that had a release already in it. I decided to try it for a few rounds. Once I found out how smooth it was, and how natural it felt to me to shoot it, I stayed with it. That was over 6 years ago, and I wouldn't even think of going back to a pull trigger.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

Shot a Release or I would have to go back to fishing.

Take care,

Jim

5. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

6. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

i once had a release trigger and sold the gun to get rid of it.

7. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Fearless, that was unhelpful. For shame. [wink]

8. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I've had flinching problems in the past, but never felt it nec to go to a release trigger. Flinching can be caused by several different things...AND...several different things can be done to overcome it[WITHOUT CHANGING THE TYPE TRIGGER USED].

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

After shooting a release at singles for a month and getting good scores, I fell on my face and literally put shots in the ground when shooting following pairs at Wobble with a Schwab equipped 11/87 Sporter. I guess 50 years and several million rounds of pull trigger shooting will make me delay going to a double release in my K-80 until I flinch much worse than I do now. (sigh)

I will say that my 870 Comp with it's Schwab release is a delight to shoot singles and caps!

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I flinched a lot first, then went to a release. I fail to see a sound reason to go to a release trigger unless flinching is a problem. I know some successful shooters have made this change prior to developing a flinch but I would never recommend such a move.

I have always wondered if a new shooter started with a release trigger and then developed a flinch, would changing to a pull trigger cure the flinch?

Pat Ireland

11. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

My point in asking the question is ---- Would it be "pre-emptive" to go to a release before developing a flinch???

If someone wanted to go to a release without going through the frustration of lower scores due to the potential of developing a flinching problem would it prevent the problem from ever occurring?

Hubcap

12. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Yes, I really feel it WOULD be Pre-emptive to do that. At this time, there's probably no real reason for you to do so. Don't anticipate that need.....keep on trucking and see what happens down the road.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

AJ- Many do not ever develop a flinch and will never need a release trigger. And, the idea that a high dollar gun is needed from the 27 yard line makes no sense to me.

Pat Ireland

14. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

What would be the potential downside of switching to a release trigger before developing a flinch????

hubcap

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

hubcap- They cost several bags of shot, they are more sensitive to dirt and sometimes require more frequent adjustments than pull triggers.

Texshooter- You introduced another aspect of this question when you stated "I think they helped my shooting". If you think the trigger and gun helped you, even if they did not actually help you, than they helped you. Has my logic become circular in this last sentience?

Pat Ireland

PS- I would never shoot trap with any gun that did not have a release trigger. I do not even like to put my gun in a rack next to a pull trigger for fear a flinch might jump over to my gun.

16. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Well, since the registered shoots are over for the year I'm going to try a release in my weekly club shooting for the next month or so. I do not currently have a flinching problem, but am curious about trying the release.

hubcap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.