1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release Trigger problems-Update

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cunninmp, Mar 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

So last October I had a Release Trigger put in my CG Maxum Combo. Bottom
    barrel only. First 750 rounds went great,did jump a few birds with the
    un-single, but slowed down and everything fine.
    Now at 1000 rounds and everything has gone to hell!
    Here's the bad habit I've formed. I normally hold a high gun. So as soon as I
    see the bird, I release the trigger. No where near the bird. If I change to the
    O/U and use the top barrel (pull) I do just fine.
    This started at a ATA match in Livermore and it was raining real hard. Now it's
    happening in practice. At first I thought I was just having a problem
    reprogramming my 67 year old brain, now I'm not so sure.
    I know I'm releasing way to soon, but can't seem to stop it.
    So before I have it converted back to pull/pull I thought I'd ask all of you if
    you had the same problem going to a release?
    Mike Cunningham
    Groveland, CA ATA Vet
    Forgot that I had a Lyman Digital Pull Gage.
    So the release sets at 70 to 74 oz. Then borrowed a spring loaded gage and
    the set was verified. Checked the release and it's right at half of
    the set, about 34 to 36 oz. Thanks miketmx, your suggestion forced me to
    actually check the weight.
    So now with new found confidence in the trigger, been shooting practice
    targets and my scores are going up. I'm mounting and setting the trigger
    much harder then I had been. Still not perfect on my part, but so much better.
    Thanks again everyone for your help.
    Mike C.

2. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

SET THE TRIGGER HARD. When you call pull, think only"SEE THE PICTURE". The "Picture" being the perfect Bead Bird relationship for that particular bird move.........SMOKIT

3. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Thanks Smokit. Set the trigger hard! I must admit, been setting it fairly
    soft, barely any pressure at all. Probably in the beginning was setting
    harder.
    Mike C.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

It sounds to me like your trigger is way too fast (goes off too soon) for you. If I try to shoot with a fast release trigger the gun will be empty before I catch up with the target. The trigger in my TMX goes off at about 24 oz and I can cope with it; the trigger in my MX3 goes off at 32 oz and I can't handle it and others think it is just right. I was told that Ray Stafford's trigger releases at about 24 oz.

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

It could be a brain thing and you may cure it by going back to a pull/pull. Or as said above the release weight may be set a little too low now that you are more comfortable with using a release. There is also the potential to have the over travel setscrew just a little too tight. This may be causing just a very slight release engagement which means if you relax it goes boom. Call the folks at CG 410 901-1131. John or Brian will be able to provide some more insight. How long has it been since you cleaned the trigger group?

--- Chip King ---

6. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Hi Chip,
    Trigger group was just cleaned.
    After John put in the release I had a friend who shoots a double release in
    her P gun shoot it. She thought it was a great trigger. Not to soft, not to hard.
    I've been thinking about this for awhile now. As I stated, I hold a very high gun.
    About 2 1/2 to 3 feet over the house. As soon as I see the bird under the barrel,
    I'm releasing. I'm also putting very little pressure on the trigger. At 25 yards,
    I'm smashing them, can't hit anything at 16.
    So I'm thinking to go back to the top of the house and setting trigger harder.
    Maybe this will force me to slow down the release. Whats strange is the trigger
    has really helped my doubles game.
    Mike C.

7. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

High gun, low gun doesn't matter with a let trigger, let that thinking go! It's not the problem. As been said here, don't set till its mounted and your ready to call for the target and set it hard. That is feels great to another shooter does not mean its to fast for you. Go back to the basics as described here and break them all! If you need to try this at practice.,, Set the trigger call for the target and don't let the trigger, just track the bird to the ground. That will give you the control your looking for. Bruce

8. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Bruce and all,
    Thanks so much for the suggestions.
    Went out to my shop and practiced on my Wall Chart. The only "training" I've
    had with the release is "mount the gun prior to setting". Just as Bruce said.
    Nothing has ever been said about how much pressure to put on it.
    What I've been doing is setting just enough to hear the "click", no additional
    pressure. I did that tonight with the first ten birds. Damn, guess what,
    releasing way to early.
    Then I put 3 to 4 times the pressure needed to set the release, maybe even
    more. Also tightened up my grip slightly. Tried this on hard lefts and
    rights. What a difference. Waited for the sight picture and the release or
    let off was much more pronounced. Even though the birds don't really move, I
    could really see the difference.
    Rain is letting up in CA so Wednesday evening will go to Mother Lode GC and
    try my "new found" release. Goes to show you we're never to old to learn.
    Will report back after I shoot.
    Chip, I'll still call John and see if backing out the "over travel setscrew"
    will increase engagement.
    Thanks again all.
    Mike Cunningham
    Groveland, CA

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Mike you wrote:

"What I've been doing is setting just enough to hear the "click", no additional pressure. I did that tonight with the first ten birds. Damn, guess what, releasing way to early."

This definitely shows that your release trigger is NOT adjusted correctly and is unsafe the way it is. A trigger should be very consistent in the Set poundage and Release poundage regardless of how you set it.

10. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Forgot that I had a Lyman Digital Pull Gage. So the release sets at 70 to 74 oz. Then borrowed a spring loaded gage and the set was verified. Checked the release and it's right at half of the set, about 34 to 36 oz. Thanks miketmx, your suggestion forced me to actually check the weight. So now with new found confidence in the trigger, been shooting practice targets and my scores are going up. I'm mounting and setting the trigger much harder then I had been. Still not perfect on my part, but so much better. Thanks again everyone for your help. Mike C.

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

If you're a "trigger slapper" it's usually painless to convert to a release. If you're a trigger puller or squeezer it's harder because you're used to having better contol over timing the shot. It's common for those shooter to "panic release" with a release trigger because subconsciously they're afraid the gun won't fire in time.Shooters who track the target have less trouble because they maintain the correct lead longer.If you hold a high gun and depend on perfect timing to hit the target, that's more difficult.

12. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.