1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release trigger options for 391

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TD1958, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TD1958

TD1958 Member

What release triiger options are there for the 391. I don't particulary care for how you have to let a standard release off in order to open the gun or change shells. Are there any better triggers offered? Thanks, Tim

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I've had Spears make a release for me, crisp & smooth--remember, a 391 trigger is just that a 391--it will never be as good as a high end trigger.

Phil Berkowitz

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

but to answer your question--all release triggers for the 391 will have to be opened before letoff, if not fired!!--PS: just my hunch, but if you are "thinking" of switching to release, to only better your scores! and not becuase you have to!--DONT!! just my opinion

4. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

If you set the release trigger on a 391 and then decide (for whatever reason) that you don't want to fire the shot, all you have to do is reach over and pull rearward on the bolt handle. Pull the bolt back about half way and it will disengage the release hook. Or, pull the bolt back all the way to eject the chambered round. Very simple and easy to do.

Easystreet

5. TD1958

TD1958 Member

I have actually been shooting a release for 15+ years. I just took this 391 in on trade and can't stand to have a gun I can't shoot. I have had several 390's 303's, etc. but thought maybe someone had come up with a better release making the gun more user freindly. I mainly shoot protection, game shoots so I need to be able to function the gun and more than anything I want to feel a certain amount of saftey indoing so. Thanks, Tim

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Pull the bolt back about halfway, release the trigger, allow the bolt to return to the closed position.

7. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

How difficult is it to reach around with your left hand to operate the bolt?...SMOKIT

8. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

evidently a lot easier than asking how to reach around with your left hand.
    it is not hard. your right hand guides the gun anyhow, the left is a balance hand,
    the 391 release allow you to pull the bolt handle back halfway is usually enough, release the trigger, and the close the bolt, you should be ready to reset the trigger. it is a lot easier to use than the Timney release in my 1100, easier to use than a release on a Ljutic too. Just make sure you are in control of your gun muzzle at all times, keep it pointed down range. Only guns easier to reset are top levers that break open easy.

9. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

for protectors and games remove the trigger assembly. then remove the small spring loaded pin that holds the lifter plate. It's the same little pin that you have to click to drop the lifter plate and make the gun stay open. Remove that little button and the spring and put it back together. There is a little cross pin that has to be pressed out and you can use a paper clip or really small drift punch to remove that pin but i recommend that you put it back in so you'll know where it is if you want to change it back. YES it will function perfectly and it will stay open when you pull the bolt handle back. It uncocks the hammer. It works just like an 1100 and will also feed two shells but will not shoot 3 shells. I have used one in that condition for 10 years and it works fine. motordoc

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You mean that the bolt will stay open without dropping the hammer? How do you release the bolt without the release button?
    The magazine cut-off does the same thing, though admittedly it's difficult to reach when you have one hand holding the trigger and the other pulling the bolt back - unless you're lucky enough to have three hands.

11. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

I added to my descripton and yes it works great. It is not the release button on the side of the gun. You need that and cannot remove it. This is the button on the bottom of the lifter plate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.