1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Release trigger, mostly in trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Steve W, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve W

Steve W Active Member

I'm under the impression that release trigger is more associated with trap shooting (ATA style), I don't remember ever shot Sporting Clays with anyone with release trigger, and certainly not in Bunker. but I don't know how true is this.

If this is true, any particular reason? Or shall I say why trapshooters use more release triggers?
  2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Active Member

Not allowed in bunker. See them in skeet all the time and sometimes on the sporting clays course.

ADDED: Saw one shooter put hole after hole in front of the stands on a 5-stand shooting a release.
  3. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

I shoot skeet with a lot of guys that use a release trigger. I will say though that most are used in trap.
  4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Active Member

Seeing them more and more in sporting clays, too. One of the best sporting
    clays shooters in the world, Jon Kruger, went to one about a year ago.
  5. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Ditto "Dixie Special" above...releases since 1977. I can still hunt with pull triggers and have managed not to shoot any holes in anything (except the air..) using releases for all disciplines. Don't hunt that much now. As with all things there are some people that shouldn't be allowed near a release gun, as is the case with reloading as well. I'm amazed there aren't more blow-ups from incompetent reloaders.

Enough said....

Larry A.
  6. 221

221 Active Member

Release trigger use is strictly prohibited in almost all shooting disciplines...... "EXCEPT FOR AMERICAN CLAY TARGET SPORTS"..... Release triggers used to be allowed years ago, for intl .....really not allowed, they were just not banned. Now they are. The AMU used to use them because they were proven to be a way of improving your scores, in an unnatural way....a crutch.....hence they were banned by the intl community.

They are absolutely worthless to anything but trap, maybe skeet. Even champion bow shooters use a pull device. The old adage that it is easier to release than it is to pull is nonsense....your brain controls your muscles and it does not know the difference....if it has been trained properly.
  7. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

221 - you forgot this jewel of wisdom.... looks like it is training your brain and practice?

Subject: For Release Trigger Users!
    Email:
    Date: Sat, Jun 18, 2011 - 12:53 AM ET
    Website Address:

Save your money and spend it on practice. Being able to shoot without a crutch is where the braggin rights are.....not in your over priced gadget.

There is no substitute for practice.
  8. ric3677

ric3677 Active Member

And now we know. LOL

Rick in MT
  9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Active Member

Yup, we now know again how little 221 knows!!
  10. hmb

hmb Active Member

Shotguns for the most part have terrible pull triggers. Creep, over travel, weight of pull that varies, and no way to easily adjust them. This has caused a lot of flinching on the trap field. One solution to the problem that has developed over the years is the release trigger. HMB
  11. 221

221 Active Member

dawg, feel free to challenge what I've said,,,,,cummon, lets hear all about my misinformation. That little backstab, requires an explanation. Just "WHAT" do I know little of, in this topic. Feel free to discredit what I've said. If you can.

Put up or shut up.
  12. 221

221 Active Member

<EM>"221, get your head out of your butt, nearly all bow target shooters use some type of release."</EM>......yea, but its pull activated. It's pulled to release the string. Y'all better look a little closer.
  13. hmb

hmb Active Member

221, After careful analysis it appears that you are clueless when it comes to the relationship between triggers and brain function. HMB
  14. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

Release triggers are Not allowed in world events established by the world governing body; such as Olympic games. They are allowed in National and local events. Info from a former USA bunker shooter...."run'em"
  15. 221

221 Active Member

Okay boys read the article and then sober up. Bow releases are made to function many different ways, the most common requites it to be pulled, Seems some of you are clueless about any subject you attempt to bash others on.
  16. 221

221 Active Member

kolarpole, that's only a recent development and only in America......it's more The Americans trying to mold Bunker their way. Sooner or later they will succeed and you will have American Bunker, and Intl Bunker......just like American trap.....they will alienate any foreign desire to compete here and end up just like ATA trap.
  17. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Thank Goodness for Sparrow Young, who has been credited with the invention of the release trigger. Without his contraption, many would no longer be shooting, including me.

Dave in SC
  18. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Active Member

I use a release for trap and sporting clays. 221 is, as most have said; "clueless".
  19. hmb

hmb Active Member

A very astute observation on your part. HMB
  20. 221

221 Active Member

exo, aren't you the world famous gun writer. I said include clay target shooting.....every where else AKA rifle, pistol, they are banned.

Are you guys really this stupid and ignorant.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.