1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release Trigger Learning Curve

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gyrine, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I tried a release trigger for the first time last Sunday at my local Trap Club. I lucked out, got there early, and had a trap to myself. Sure glad no one around to watch. I was all over the place. I would like to hear from all who have switched to release, from those who switched and hated it, and from those who think it is a gift from the trap shooting god. A lot of shooters swear by it. Why is that? gyrine

2. spritc

spritc Active Member

It took me about 100 shells to get my timing, but once I did it felt so natural. When you begin to flinch for no apparent reason, it is nice to know a release, at least in my case, solved the problem.

Steve

3. cls

cls Member

I broke a 24 on my first round with a release. I've not shot Trap with a pull trigger since. cls

4. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

The first time I used one I missed the first target then broke the next 49/50. One weeks later I ran 100/100 so it's obvious that I liked it. Actually needed it as I wasn't enjoying shooting anymore.

Everyone is different. A good friend struggled with his first 25 hitting maybe 15 and then ran the next 25. Others have had much more trouble.

Just as an aside I tried a pull trigger this past weekend on a project gun and flinched maybe 12 times out of 25.

If you are flinching and starting with a release it will be a short time until it becomes second nature. I promise.

5. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I guess that we haven't beat this subject to death for at least 3 weeks or so, so here goes.

It took me about 25 targets to learn to shoot the release trigger on singles. It took me another 50 targets to learn to operate it properly on doubles (shooting skeet).

If it weren't for release triggers, I'd have to take up another sport. No way can I shoot a pull trigger for more than 2 or 3 shots at clay targets without a SEVERE flinch.

If you've got a flinching problem and it is seriously affecting your shooting, then switch to a release trigger. I tried about all the other alleged "cures" and none of them worked.

Save yourself further aggravation, embarassment, and money by switching to a release trigger if you have a flinching problem.

I shoot nothing but release trigger now on trap, skeet, and sporting clays.

Easystreet

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Someone had a gun for sale, I wanted to try the gun, he tells me "It's got a release in it," my eyes got big like saucers, he says "Don't worry...I'll stand right by you. You'll be fine."

I shot two shells, and wanted the gun WITH the release. I LOVED it. Shot even better with the release than I did with a pull.

I attribute it to having been an archer. Probably also that I had only been shooting for less than a year, too. You guys that have been pulling a trigger forever, well...I guess it would be a lot more difficult for you to make the switch.

But it took me a couple of boxes to get the double release down. By the end of the second box, I wasn't even thinking about it...it was natural.

7. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Took me one box of shells to learn it. I still shoot a pull on occasion at trap and a pull at all my other shooting sports. No problems switching between release and pull triggers, So far. The release is very natural and smooth from a pre-mounted gun position.

Jim

8. DocJim

DocJim Member

If you are having trouble getting used to it you might try dry-firing at home at some mark on the wall, etc. In my case I fired about 50 at Terry Jordan's wall chart for a week and when I went to the club seemed like I had been shooting it all my life. I'll never go back.

AJ

9. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Here is my deal, I was very active in the game 20 years ago, then my perfect gun was stolen, a P for those interested, and I quit. Started up again a month ago because there is a nice club near my new home. I was always a cross dominate shooter with the tape and shot very respectible scores. I have shot about 700 rounds since being back in, shooting about 22 from the 20, about the same at the 16. I started using a new, used, gun, TM1, which is close to what I used to use and have decided to hell with it, I got a medicare card, I'm going to start over shooting lefty and using a release, I never had a flinch problem, but I have talked to guys who didn't go to the release because of flinching, they just liked it. 20 years ago the release was the last desperate act of the flincher, really sort of a rare sight on the line and not investigated by other shooters, it was sort of viewed as a sign of a disability, might be contageous, stay away. I don't think that view is true today. I will take all the help I can get and I don't want to shoot 95, I want to shoot 100. The transformation starts Sunday. My advise is to stand back and don't let the children watch. gyrine

10. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

None at all.

I bought an Alfermann early this year, and decided to send it back to Gary to be converted to a release. I had started to develop a "dive into the gun in anticipation of recoil" flinch, costing me about two birds per hundred in handicap. When I got the gun back there was essentially no learning curve at all. I still shoot doubles with my Beretta 682, pull/pull, and have no trouble with the transition. That's not quite true. Shortly after getting the Alfermann back I was shooting leadoff in a practice round of doubles at the club. When I moved to post 2, I put the Beretta to my shoulder preparing for the first bird and it went off. With an embarrassed grin on my face I said to my squadmates "Not a release trigger!". Everyone had a good laugh and we continued the round. That is literally the ONLY problem I've had.

Your experience may vary, but for me learning to use a release was not a problem.

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

May I submit that you consider the release trigger an advantage to be utilized, and NOT a crutch you are forced to depend on.

Stay with it, and continue to use positive re enforcement as part of your pre shot routine on every shot that the release is indeed THE superior trigger system to use on ATA targets. :^)

If I did not train Defensive Firearms techniques with rifles, shotguns and sidearms, I would already be shooting a release.

12. Hogsan

Hogsan Member

Reason I bought a release is arthritis makes fingers stiff and slow in the long haul. Bought a release and seemed natural. Mount the gun set the trigger call for the bird. After a couple of years I still use the check list and it takes my mind off of other distractions and helps the setup. I do shoot some small guage skeet and hunt with a pull and if I keep my finger off the trigger and focused the first station goes smooth. After that its just like riding a bicycle.

Jim O

13. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

What about Releases for Annies? 5 guns up, safe or not?

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

EuroJoe

If the shooter is safe, and familiar with his firearm, there will be no problem. If the shooter is not safe and familiar with his firearm, you know the rest.

15. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Got my release and shot a 97 on 16s the next ATA shoot I went to.

Never looked back.

That had to be at least 30 years ago.............Damn I'm old!

Hauxfan!

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Broke a 19-then a 24. That was in 1972. Been shooting release ever since!!

17. alf174

alf174 Member

Had to switch in the middle of a 200 singles event at the Grand; the more I feared a flinch would occur the more it happened (a self fulfilling prophecy if you will). Still can shoot pull-pull for short periods (sporting clays) but prefer the dbl release.

18. breakingclays99

breakingclays99 Member

It took me a few targets to get used to it, but once I did, my scores increased drastically. Using a release is probably the greatest thing that I've ever done for myself in trapshooting.

However, when I was first told that I had to switch, I hated it. I was to the point where I couldn't pull a pull-trigger without flinching. Luckily for me, I come from a family of gunsmiths, so converting my Perazzi trigger to a release was not an expensive experience.

I've been told by a lot of people that I'm the youngest person they've ever seen shooting a release (I'm 19) but I've been shooting a release for over 2 years now. I love it!

Melissa Barthel

19. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Go to the lien with a good shooting friend. Let him shoot the targets while you track and shoot with a snap cap. It will help get the feel and timing. A release is a superior biomechanical method for shooting a target gun.

20. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Everyone here mentioned the easy transition to a release trigger. I had a similar experience when I converted. My transition to the single release was easy, quick, and painless, BUT not so for the double release triggers for doubles. I started out using the double release for skeet as an earlier poster mentioned. It worked good, but then, all of a sudden it didn't work so good at all (kind'a like a monkey with a football if you know what I mean). As a consequence, I have been back and forth between a release/release and a release/pull for doubles. The release/pull works best for me for doubles, BUT I still get too many second-bird flinches (5-6 per 50 pair). Not good, when one is too many.

I went back to the double release setup recently, trying to make a dedicated effort to master it. It's ugly. So the bottom line is that neither one works for me and I wish to hell I could master one or the other. Post away release trigger gurus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.