1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release Trigger Info. Please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Changed to a release in my sbt due to flinching. So far, after 500 targets, no flinching, but scores erratic to consistently poor. First run with it yesterday, broke 21's and one 24 in 16's. An 18 and a 21 from the 20. A 20 from the 27. Trigger nice, smooth, and fast...so: Any recommendations or is this just normal or maybe just due to being way off yesterday...tired etc. Curious how long it takes for one to take advantage of release and have it be second nature.

Thanks.

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I guess everyone adjusts differently. Speaking for myself, I had absolutely no problem adjusting to the release and my scores improved immediately. (Due to losing the dreaded flinch) Now adjusting to a double release was a different story. It took me a long time to adjust to that. It's possible you are thinking more about the trigger than tracking and shooting the target. Repetition is the "mother of all skills". Once you have repeated a task often enough, you no longer think about it. It comes 2nd nature. (Just like pumping a pump action gun). Keep shooting and forget about the trigger and concentrate on the target. Good luck. Believe me it will all come together. Ed

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What Ed said.

You must get your head in the game and WANT to shoot the release. It is a more natural way to shoot clay targets.

Despite snide comments to the contrary, the release is an advantage over a pull. Use the advantage. Make it work for you.

4. In plain view

In plain view Member

Chango2: Be patient with the release. Sounds like your "timing" is a little off. As a recommendation try and get on the target and get this "release" thing out of your mind. I dont think you have shot enough with the release and shooting when your very tired is a real killer. You should check to see what the timing is on both the pull and release triggers. Keep using the release, I love both of mine. Bob English, with a healing broken leg in 2 places.

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Hey Bob, maybe that leg would heal faster if you put in just one place. :)

Chango,

try tracking targets with a snap cap while someone else shoots them. It will help you get your timing down without worrying about hitting the target or recoil.

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks...I must have been more tired than I realized; between fields going to the second trap I forgot whether I was on post 4 or 5!!! Burned the candle at both ends last week, didn't realize lack of awareness. There is always next weekend and I will keep working with release and use its potential. I feel it is a more natural way to shoot trap.

7. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I also switched to release, my scores have not suffered, I really like the release, but this Saturday.....the first bird out, I forgot about the release, and tried to shoot like I had a pull trigger...:)

jackpot shoot, shot a 25 from the 16, then a 24 from the 25 yd. line.

tony

8. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

For me it was like a duck finding water, a natural. Biggest mistake I made was trying a release/pull for doubles, forget it, go double release from the start.

I would advise you to get a decent trigger guage and mark with something both the set and release points. If marked on the scale you will be able to quickly see if anything has changed. The release point in ounces is the most important. Just for your information my triggers let off at 32 ounces.

Good luck, you are on the right track.

Tom Strunk

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Double release is the only way to go. Once the brain gets the new info downloaded, all is good!

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Get your sight picture, just like you did with the pull trigger if you were breaking good scores. If I have my sight picture correct the target breaks, Your sight picture will come automatically after you break good scores. First thing is repeating it time after time, then it is smoke, smoke and smoke and then you have a 100 straight. I suggest as it is my procedure is to set the trigger while you are moving your head to the stock, When my face is on the comb the trigger is set, some shooters have a problem and can't set the trigger with the face on the comb and they flinch, I cured this by setting the trigger just a split second before my face meets the comb.

This is just a procedure that works for me, have been doing it for over 40 years now.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Try shooting the Target instead of the Release trigger ??

12. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Alf: That statement kind of says it all. I know from personal experience; most of my attention was given to the trigger and minimal attention was given to the tracking and shooting of the target. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.