1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release trigger, How do you know if you need one?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yendor12, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yendor12

yendor12 Member

I am a B shooter, and avg 90 on Handycaps. I can feel myself at times jitter as I pull the trigger and miss each time.
    Just wanted advice on why you went to a release. Will it make you smoother?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I purchased a gun that came with both a release and a pull trigger. Just out of curiousity i tried the release trigger and haven't looked back since. I never had a flinching problem or recoil issues but from reading your post it sounds as if you do. What you described sure sounds like flinch to me. I don't know that a release trigger is for everyone though. I adapted quickly but others have a problem getting use to the principle of the whole thing. Make sure your gun fits you good first. Sometimes a jitter (as you call it) can simply be a loose fitting gun. Thats my take on it.----Matt

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Yendor12, I'll tell you some things and then you can see if you fit into those of us who need to shoot a release.

You go to pull the trigger, and you just can't pull it.

Or, you go to pull the trigger and your barrel goes around in circles before the gun goes off.

You go to pull the trigger and your left arm/hand locks up on you and makes you miss...even though you are right handed.

You go to pull the trigger and you can't pull it, but you start walking toward the club house a couple of steps trying to pull the darned thing.

I'm sure there are other clues but for now these are what I came up with.

Sometimes you don't know you flinch, but your friends know. Don't be afraid to listen to them.

Hauxfan!

4. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

everybody needs one!!! ;-)

tony

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

There are many forms of a flinch. Mine is unmistakable and can be easily seen from 30 feet away. I am not sure what you mean by "jitter" as you pull the trigger, but I am suspicious that it is a form of flinching.

Pat Ireland

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

You will know you need one when you have to ask, on this forum, if you do. Once the question arises in your mind due to a flinch, or inability to be smooth on the trigger at all times, it is time to change. I, too, went to a release due to a gun purchase that had one installed. I tried it, and never went back. I know one thing for sure: I can't go back to a pull trigger now. I just can't be as smooth as I once was, so it's a release for me from now on... Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

If you ever missed a target you need one. Of course I'm kidding but I also tried one 40 years ago and still shoot a release today. It took me less tan 50 shells to adapt it was just a natural for me. I know other people that just could not adapt but I would give it a try for a while you will either love it or go back to a pull. Let me warn you ahead of time if you are a gun nut and own many guns this could be very expensive don't ask how I know gunsmiths love me.
    Buddy

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Nothing better than a good pull trigger, adjusted properly to your needs. But very hard to find on the trap line. HMB

9. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Before you go to a release trigger, try a heavier trigger pull.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.