1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release trigger for the games

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by joegriff, Oct 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joegriff

joegriff Member

I just got a release trigger installed and I mostly shoot the "pot shoots", anney oaklies etc. To those that shoot the games, this question. If I'm the 3rd, 4th or 5th possible shooter, Do you set your trigger before #1 or #2 shoots or wait to see if they miss. Inquiring mind wants to know.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

joegriff- I have shot a release for many years, but I cannot give you a good answer to your question. Shooting a release at the type of pot shoot you referred to will take some experience and can be a disadvantage. It is something that you will have to work out yourself with a system that is comfortable, safe and competitive for you. I am not sure the suggestion by Jack would keep you competitive in a pot shoot.

Pat Ireland

3. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

joegriff, I shoot a lot of games and have been shooting a release trigger for many years. I find setting my trigger just after shouldering my gun, works the best for me, even if I'm the fifth or sixth shooter in line. I've tried other methods such as waiting to set my trigger until I see the results of three shooters before me, or such, but I find myself "double-gunning" too many times if I do it that way. Maybe it is the lack of eye, hand, & brain coordination on my part that makes that method so difficult for me. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

4. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

I set the trigger before pull every time, regardless of the game? :eek:)

Take care,

Jim

5. kolarkim

kolarkim Member

I shoot a release ONLY for pot shoots and games Not in competition (so far anyway) and I set it as soon as I shoulder it, then break the gun open before I put the gun down if I dont end up shooting. I am a fast shooter and this is the only way I can wait for someone else to shoot. It can get tiring but I figure its just practice for if I ever need to compete that way. good luck KK

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Even if I am 4th, 5th, or 6th man I still set my trigger. Just get in the habit of holding it. The set it as the target is coming down the line thing has never worked for me. I am not saying that it doesn't work for some people/ It just doesn't work for me. The wait and see thing is almost an "Let's see if I will have to set my trigger this time metality". When the trigger is set you are prepared to shoot if the need should arise. There are enough things to screw with your head without having to decide if you are going to set it this time or not. " Let's see... Floyd usually will miss but Jack will hit the bird so I don't need to set the trigger or maybe it's "Well these guys all look like Melon ranchers I better set my trigger and get ready. You know as well as I do that as soon as you start thinking about it the Melon ranchers hit 5 in a row and the two guys who never miss a target both miss three birds in a row. Every man on the line can be dangerous( A good shot) at any time. Just set your trigger and be ready. My .02 cents Jeff

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

kolarkim- Completely off topic but as a proud Southerner, I would suggest changing the initials you used to sign your last post. They indicate something other than your name. Now, if you are really a Ku Kluxer, I would like to have a private conversation with you and I would hope to change your thoughts.

Pat Ireland

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

zarathrusta- Was your paper on that particular group or that peculiar group?

Pat Ireland

9. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

Hey Zarathrusta ! are you a bench shooter ? you know the guy that sits on the bench and bugs the hell out of all "the Game Shooters "! You also speak like a know it all a$#%hole. .You once said you hated all game shooters. Git a life

10. kolarkim

kolarkim Member

Well Joegriff, I am sorry that my signature highjacked your thread, I also didnt know that KK was related to the KKK. I dont approve of them or condone them, but I have to admit that I was going to change my sons last name to start with a K so he could be KKK initials just for ease instead of KKC. maybe I should sign it K2? NAW KK works and this thread was about releases not my sig. and before anyone says anything about my panties being in a twist I am a male and dont wear panties and I am not mad just appologizing to Joe and pointing out to the rest and laughing about this post and how it got to be about KK and not release triggers wow way off LOL good luck KK (even my wife is laughing at you guys)

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gregg535 - First, KK or KKK is not an acronym. An acronym is a set of initials that can be spoken as a word. NATO is an acronym, ATA and KKK are not acronyms.

And, this disreputable group, was typically refereed to as the Klan, the Ku Klux's and the K. Small signs outside of many towns announcing Coon Hunting Club meets every first Wednesday was understood by all. Not everything in the good old days was good. But, if we recognize some of the past evil, perhaps we will not make the same mistakes again.

Pat Ireland

PS- I have managed to really change the original topic of this thread.

12. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Pat Ireland level headed and even tempered? Really? Jake

13. joegriff

joegriff Member

Thanks for the helpful hints and suggestions for shooting the games for the most part. I shot the gun for the first time last evening. Tried all the suggestions. What worked for me was mounting and setting the trigger even if I was the 5 or 6 shooter. It was no problem holding trigger or opening gun if previous shooter broke target. I was nervous starting out but got the hang of it before the night was over. I won more than my share of the shoots. I can't believe I waited so long before going to a release. 35 years of flinching gone and this 70 year old has found your never to old to learn something new.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.