Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Release trigger for pistol. Has it been done?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  TOLIPNUG 
#1 ·
Being a recent convert to a release trigger for trap shooting I was thinking back to my Bullseye pistol shooting days.

I remember many a time when I couldn't put that last bit of tension on the trigger because the sight picture wasn't quite right. I know it's probably impractical and potentially dangerous but I was thinking a release trigger might have helped my pistol shooting.

I wonder if it's ever been done. Educate me if you have any knowledge in this area.

Smash Em,

Jerry

#2 ·
I believe there are some super high-end target pistols that do have a release.

I have seen one with an electronic release.....have no idea how that one worked. My friend in Ft Lauderdale owned it a few years back. If he still has it, I'll post its name and a photo. I can tell you though, the prices of those guns can rival the prices of a trapgun.

Jim C

#5 ·
Well, I know that free pistols from makers like Hammerli and Walther have offered them as options (I think Walther may have been the first to offer it on a production model, but I may be wrong on that).

But I never cared for them much and haven't met many other shooters who do. The prospect of battery issues was a turn off for me, and I wanted to have at least a little bit of "sear" letoff sensation. Maybe somebody has solved that issue on modern electrics, but when I was in the market for my TOZ the electrics were still scary computer-game type jobs and I didn't know anybody who liked them (everybody was still pretty much old-school in their preferences and I think Nygord told me once he sold a dozen mechanicals for every electric or something like that).

If you go to Scott Pilkington's website, you can get brushed up on what is out there now.

#7 ·
I knew of Hammerli...didn't they also make a target rifle with an electronic trigger. Back when I had my FFL I remember receiving some marketing info from them. The guns looked rather "futuristic" at the time.

I tried looking more up on the web about Hammerli, but there isn't that much that I can find.

Jim C

#8 ·
There are good reasons why a release trigger won't work with a pistol. First of all, firing a pistol required a very firm and consistent grip. It is difficult to relax one finger without relaxing the others as well.(this is also a problem with release triggers on shotguns as well, but it's not as critical)
You are saying it's hard to pull the trigger at the right moment. You don't fire a pistol that way. If you're using iron sights, you maintain the sight picture on the gun, while trying to get the sights to center on the blurred target. If you're using a scope or red dot, you're still trying to get the sights to center on the target. As the deviation from the sight picture grows smaller, you are squeezing the trigger until the gun fires almost without your knowing it. There is no conscious pull of the trigger at a particular moment.

#9 ·
I used to have a pull-release for my Ruger Mini 14. The pull was a normal weight - when the gun rocked back it would release - rate of fire was hard to tell any difference between it and a full auto!! I believe it was legal - you had to make two distinct moves to make it go.

Geo

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.