1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

release trigger for 870

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BILL GRILL, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

looking for recomendations for installation of release trigger in Rem 870. Thanks, Bill

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Buy a whole replacement unit from Spears and keep your original just in case

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

i just recently purchased a release trigger. one problem i am having is switching back and forth between the release and a pull trigger on a different gun. i guess you have to make a clean break. one thing i found out, suggest you get a release that has an easy set before it clicks. the release i have was real hard to pull back to set the trigger and it was hard for me to hold it long enough without letting go. i now have it set up were it is easy to set, not much pressure, & per my gunsmith, the trigger is still safe to shoot, & has alot less energy being used to set the trigger. my gun is a remington 870 tb. i recently tried a friends release on a kriegoff, he had an allums, what a fantastic release trigger and gun. suggest try some different releases before you buy. i have tried spears, mcdaniel, timney, and i now have a potter. i have shot around 300 targets with the release, my scores are going up, and i am getting use to it. toughest shot for me with the release is that hard left and right from station 1 and 5. i release the trigger on those 2 stations before i catch up with the target. things are improving.
    good luck,
    steve balistreri

4. 870

870 Well-Known Member

See if you can pick up a used Timney. I bought a Spears new and did not like it. Maybe just my experience, many seem to like them. My Timney has a definite set (click) and the Spears had a lot of excess travel after the trigger was set.

Get each gun converted ASAP, I tried swithching back to pull for the other events but it will only cause more flinching. Every time you switch guns, the triggers are different, and that causes problems once you start flinching, even after going to a release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.