1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*Release Trigger - Flinch City

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Onceabum, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Went to a release trigger last year because I was tightening up when using the pull. With the release...I FLINCH ALL THE TIME! In practice, when the lead off shooter asks to see a target, I follow the bird with my gun (empty, of course) and the trigger set. When I pretend to fire at the bird and release the trigger, I almost fall down. If I have a bad shell on the line and the gun doesn't fire when I release the trigger, I jump straight in the air and do a ridiculous dance on the post. I even flinch when I'm dry firing at home. I have used several releases with different sets and let offs, all of which produce the same results.

Now, here is what's crazy...my scores have GONE UP! It seems anticipation of the recoil and the recoil itself allows me to stay in the gun.

Question - Should I return to a pull trigger? I think I would feel more in control and my squad members could stop shaking when it's my turn to shoot.

Booger Blue

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Why ask the question when you have already answered it?

3. spritc

spritc Active Member

Boog, go to lighter loads and spend more time on the practice field. Concentration is the answer, quit anticipating the target. If this doesn't work I'm afraid you'll need some other kind of help.

Steve

4. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I smell fish bait. Jake

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you are having trouble releasing the trigger, you need to go to an empty field, sit in a chair or bench, and put the firearm in your lap, unloaded. Look at the trigger from the side of the gun. Visualize how you want to manipulate the trigger. With your trigger hand, set the trigger and WATCH it as you smoothly release it. After several smooth releases, walk to an empty line and put a round in the gun. While looking at your trigger hand, set the trigger and watch it release smoothly into the ground, or wherever. I have had folks go so far as closing their eyes, with a friend next to them for muzzle control, and popping a round or two in the air.

Once you get this under your belt, go back on the line with just you and a friend with the button. Perform your preshot routine, and when your friend hears the trigger set, he releases the target on his silent call. If you have target shock, this will help. Relax, and remember that we do this for recreation! If needed, lock the machine for straightaways and stand on post three. This is rehab, and do whatever it takes to tune out this glitch. If your scores have gone up, think about the scores you will shoot with a proper release trigger technique.

Once you get your confidence back, all this will go away. Let us know. This is NOT unique.

During the first round of dubs I ever shot with a release, yours truly dumped two second shots in the ground! WE ALL LAUGHED OUR BUTTS OFF!. I am a nationally ranked Intl' Bunker shooter, and a Professional Coach and Instructor. I laughed too. It is GOOD to laugh at yourself from time to time.

As far as going back to a pull trigger, that is up to you. I would stay with the release for a while.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Booger Blue - As stated above, what you are describing is not a typical flinch. Your body, as does mine, seems to have developed an unconscious forward movement into the gun just after it goes off. This movement has developed as a counter to the recoil of the gun. When you get a bad shell, or snap on an empty chamber, your body does move forward but the recoil is absent. This results in a change of your center of gravity and you must take a step forward to regain your balance. This is not uncommon.

I would add, that in my opinion, tracking a bird called by the lead off shooter, even with an empty chamber, is not a widely accepted thing to do.

Pat Ireland

7. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Thanks Coach...Thanks Pat. I will try your suggestions. I do hate to go back to a pull trigger and give up these better scores. When I get into a groove and things are working well, it does seem easier to release than to pull.

B Blue

8. Shooting Coach

Before I took the route of self hypnosis to cure my problems with a pull trigger, I took about a month long journey with a Schwab release with a Remmie 870 Comp. I also bought a Schwab for the 1100.

Within two flats I had shot a 98 on the 16, and a 95 at the back yard. It DID seem more natural to shoot the release. When I tried dubs with the Schwab, the way I shot would best be described as entertaining. LOL

However, when I shot a friend's factory release Kolar, things immdiately fell into place.

If I ONLY shot trap, I would have already had my tournament guns set up with release. However, as I mentioned, I make my livlihood by training others to shoot defensive firearms. I demonstrate every technique I train. (a fellow needs to keep in practice LOL) I also enjoy the Intl' disciplines, where a release is not allowed.

Your case, in which you do bad things even when mounting an empty gun at home, makes me wonder. I still would think you need to visualize and see yourself release the trigger in a smooth and controlled motion.

Perhaps borrowing a friend's small bore shotgun with a pull trigger for a few shots might help, other than the confusion of going back to the pull.

After getting a smooth trigger release with an empty chamber, perhaps you could shoot some light loads.

You did not mention if the recoil seems to bother you, or if you were shooting heavy loads. Most older shooters who have been fighting heavy 12 ga loads for decades find themselves on the short end and a flinch.

Let us know how you do. I would be most interested in observing and working with you gratis, if you are close to Middle Tennessee.

As a left handed, left eye dominant shooter who shoots two eyed, right handed, and who has beat a horrible flinch, while shooting respectable scores, I understand some aspects of hitting the target while putting aside mental and physical conflicts.

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I flinch with a Remington .22cal. rifle shooting shotshells while on cabbage butterfly hunts. Anybody beat that!!

10. Shooting Coach

Talk about bad pulls and wormburners!!! LOL

11. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Hell, I even flinch when sitting at the picnic table shooting the bull. Ya think a release tongue might help?

Gne J

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

AJ- The rule prohibiting tracking another shooters targets refers to shooters in a squad waiting to shoot tracking the shooting squads targets. Yes it is legal but seems not to be a good thing to do. I cannot give valid reasons supporting my opinion but it remains my opinion.

Pat Ireland

13. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

Purchase a wall chart from Terry Jordan and practice with it.

Vince McNamara

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.