1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release Trigger...fact or fiction?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by turbobike, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turbobike

turbobike Member

I slowly developed a flinch/freeze 2 or 3 times per 25 birds. I went to 1100 with a rad system, 2 lb trgger job, new glass, 1 oz loads. This has reduced it. But I still flinch, then find myself chasing after the bird...
    Can a "release" trigger help with this? Or it is just a short term solution? Do any pro's actually use them in competition?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I had the said "Forearm flinch" and battled it all last year and this summer. Had my stock fitted by Greg Hissem, lighter loads etc. etc. I finally had Phil C. put a release in my Beretta and have not had an episode since it was installed. I use to have one or more every 100 rounds. Haven't had one in close to 1800 rounds now. Sold me.

Matt

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Quit playing and get a release. Ignore the 80 average singles shooters who tell you not to!!

4. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

get the release and don't look back! Those that don't want you to go to release are just holding you back. Why should it matter to them?The release makes you do more correct gun things, (stay in the gun, follow through)than a pull. yes there is a learning curve but where isn't there? inside of 1000 targets it will be automatic. Get it, shoot it and post your opinions here after 1000 birds. shoot often, shoot well
    and everyone will tell you there are no pros in the ATA,

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I agree with the respondents to this thread. If it weren't for a release, i would not be shooting anymore. I spent a "ton" of $$ trying to cure my flinch. (lighter, heavier trigger pulls, different shooting glasses, holding a lower gun and on and on). It proved to be money flushed down the toilet. Go for the release; you can thank us later!! Ed

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I know several guys that peaked out and then went into very serious slumps due to developing a flinch. The release trigger worked for all of them. This isn't really something you need to fight. A lot of very good shooters use a release trigger.

7. DANNY

DANNY Member

Turbobike, I can not tell you if I needed it or not. But went to a release & really like it. Would not go back to a pull trigger for trap unless the rules made me do it. Ask around at the trap club to see if someone would let you try their release trigger. Danny Hutton

8. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

How does one "unload" once the trigger is set?

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

You unload by opening the action.

Don Verna

10. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

Go for it, you`ll be glad you did. I switched in 1994 and never looked back

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I switched in '73. Thank goodness, especially when I think I could still pull a trigger!!

12. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

The better question to ask is which all American trap shooters don't use one. Bruce

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

1brucem, at the top of the pile is Leo Harrison. It's easier to get a decent release trigger than it is a good pull trigger. Especially on an O/U shotgun because of the chance of doubling from sear engagement. I use both types on my guns equally. Drew Waller of Ohio fame also uses both types, sometimes switching during a 100 target event! Jimmy Heller also uses a pull trigger and there's many more that does the same. A good release trigger is far easier to come by and work with than most factory pull triggers!

Hap

14. grntitan

Hap: How come you didn't include me on that list? Somebody has to be at the bottom of the list using release triggers.

Matt

15. nut

nut Member

The release trigger was the best invention ever.Don't wait get one as fast as you can and don't look back. I use it for sporting and trap. The only thing I can't do with my release is shoot doubles from the hip. so know I shoot with my gun upside down from the shoulder. Got to have fun.

As for hunting I still use a pull trigger with no problem.

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I would flinch too if I had a 2 lb. trigger. Way too light!

How many have release triggers that will still fire the gun if released with the top lever pushed all the way to the right?

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jerry, the break open guns I'm familiar with must allow the barrels to break over somewhat to hold the hammers?

Please include Matt on the "two-bit-aim" list!! Hows that Matt LOL

Hap

18. grntitan

Hap: Sweet!! I'm somebody now.

Matt

19. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

The problem most of you guys have is not appreciating what you have. Shooting a good pull trigger that is set up properly is the way to shoot on a budget. With this type of pull trigger I get to shoot the target multiple times before I actually flinch enough to shoot. I pay for a 100 rounds and "try" to shoot 300 or 400 times per round. One thing about it, my friends say it is ugly to watch me shoot, but I get my moneys worth.

By the way, do they still make pull triggers??

Charlie

20. grntitan

Charlie: I like the way you look at things. Talk about getting the most for your money. LOL

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.