1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release trigger dilemma

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pigkiller, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Have any of you ever switched back to a pull trigger? My shooting has suffered after I made the switch several months ago, mainly due to new problems such as shooting too fast and spot shooting--problems I didn't have when I used a pull trigger. I switched to a release because I was flinching during competition.

Tomorrow I'm going back to a pull to see how it goes. Any suggestions or feedback?

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Learn how to Slap the trigger - keep your finger away from the blade of the trigger until you are ready to shoot - then pull it quick and aggressive.

3. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Hey Pigkiller,
    I had the same problems. Then about 5 on this site told me to set the
    trigger really hard. Well now I'm happy with my release. Got it installed
    last November in a CG Maxum Combo with Unsingle. Yes, scores have suffered,
    but now improving. Checked my set weight and it's 70 to 74 oz so all that's
    okay.
    Just had to re-learn to slow down and wait until I'm on the bird. Had lost
    confidence in the release but now it's back!! Had to learn to get my leads
    on the bird then a pronounced release. Practiced in my living room alot. Also
    found that by setting really hard, it kept me on the gun alot better.
    I'll be 68 in another month, so if I can do it, you can too.
    Best of luck,
    Mike Cunningham
    Groveland, CA
    ATA Life Vet

4. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I tried it for 500 rounds! Couldn't keep from setting the trigger 5 or 6 times every 100 or so shots. I wish I would have never starting using a release but I decided to stick with it (about 20 years now)

5. jayco32

jayco32 TS Member

I'm 67 years old, was not flinching, but thought a release might help at this point. This was about 18 months ago. Shooting mostly 50 bird night calcutta's in the winter and really done pretty well with it. Started shooting registered in the Spring and by mid Summer my averages had dropped 5 targets on the 16's and over 10 on the handicaps. The first day of a three day shoot I broke 94 singles and 80 caps. Changed back to a pull trigger that night and broke 99 singles the next day and 95 handicap. Needless to say I'm still shooting a pull trigger. Didn't work for me, but that doesn't mean it won't for you. Everyone's shooting style, trigger timing. swing speed, Etc. is different, and you need to find what works for you.

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I have to agree with "miketmx"s method, and DON'T get your pull trigger too light,(I made this mistake too) keep it around 4# with NO creep or slack (or as little as possible) this will teach you to wait until you see a bird not a streak, then pull the trigger with a conscious effort. (My experience only.) I did try a release briefly but they just weren't for me at that time so 30 yrs. later I'm still shooting a pull. Good Luck & don't get frustrated, work on your problem with a plan. Ross Puls

7. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

"...shooting too fast and spot shooting--problems I didn't have when I used a pull trigger. I switched to a release because I was flinching during competition."

I'm sorry, but I find that hard to believe. I have an alternative hypothesis:

You found yourself flinching *because* of bad habits like shooting too fast and spot-shooting. You simply were not aware of it. A release trigger will not cure bad habits. It will, in fact, reveal them.

I say this because it takes one to know one. My own besetting sin is shooting too fast and I have to fight it constantly. I would never go back to a pull trigger, but that's me. Maybe it's not for you, but it didn't cause your bad habits.

With respect, and good luck.

8. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Thanks all for the feedback. Fritzi93, point taken--you make some wise comments, thank you. I appreciate your sincerity.

I will give the pull trigger a try and keep you posted.

9. lancelot

lancelot Member

pigkiller,

I switched back to a pull a couple of months ago, and it was a disaster.

I had done this a couple of times before,'when I was younger', and pulled it off. I never could stay with the pull because of flinching, but didn't have any other problems. NOT THIS TIME !

If you find yourself having problems, I would suggest, you go back to the release right away.

Good luck with your shooting. Ron Ireland

10. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Well, I went to the range today and switched to the pull trigger. It went OK, considering that I didn't shoot the traphouse. I did, however, have more misses than usual and had a couple of flinches, though they were mostly of a visual nature. I will have to get used to it again, and I imagine this will take several hundred rounds. However, I did smoke some targets and felt I slowed down, which was what I wanted. Time will tell if this is the way to go.

11. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Today I went back to the release. I was flinching at least 2 times per round, although I was getting used to the pull trigger again. However, I was still shooting too fast and thus this was a failed experiment.

This time, however, I am setting the trigger hard and hope this helps me control my shooting. I will also try elongating my call to get rid of this dreaded habit of shooting too fast.

I am always open to suggestions. Thanks.

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Pig. Many fellow shooters can adapt to a release in a round of 25 birds. Others it takes 5000. Which are you? Most likely you are crossfiring causing what you deem a "flinch".And when you are crossfiring your brain is getting a visual sign that you are on the bird, and then in the next instant you are not. And yet the gun just went off. A more complete test of this would be if you were doing the dreaded "forearm jerk" at about the time the trigger is released. If you have this common predicament, you have a different issue to address.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have been known to flinch once in awhile but its because I didn't see the target and rushed to try and pull the trigger and my brain was saying not yet ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I don't have any trouble switching back and forth. I just concentrate.

15. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

A release is not a shooting problem cure-all. It takes time and effort. Switching back and forth only extends the time necessary to make it an effortless act. Decide what you want and stick it out. Personally I think most people quit the release because it is not magical, but a learned response, the best is yet to come.

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Most shotguns have terrible pull triggers. It is impotant to get a good trigger set at the proper weight of pull inorder to get rid of your problem. HMB

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I hafta agree with HMB. There is a ton of bad pull triggers on a lot of target guns people shoot trap with.

A shooter must figure out what triggers the impulse between the rib/bead/barrel and the eyes delivers the act of releasing or pulling the trigger on a moving target! Frank Little called it a bird/bead relationship and that's true. True for either type of trigger too. An ill fitting stock coupled with a bad pull trigger is a great recipe for so-so scores. Going to a release can't cure those ills! With that same combination of ill fit and mechanical flaws with either kind of trigger just won't work for shooting consistent scores. Accept the fact that our eye is the rear sight and learn how to keep the gun and body as a single unit in attacking a moving target will help tremendously! If that gun moves out of sync with the rear sight for any reason, you'll hear the dreaded word, lost!

Lots of other problems go hand in hand with either type of trigger but the choice of trigger type alone can't help fix those ills as you've experienced.

Hap

18. Terry

Terry TS Member

I am just going to go back to my pull. I developed a big problem of not being able to release the trigger. I can't say that I ever really enjoyed the release. I guess I have shot too many with a pull. If someone has a quick fix for not being able to release the trigger let me know.

19. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

get a gun that isn't hurting you

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The late, great Frank Little often said "if you can't pull one and can't release one it's best to take up fishing"!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.