1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release Trigger Comments

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have been flinching and poking for quite some time. ( and my scores showed it) I was embarassed to shoot. I always said if I ever had to resort to a release trigger, I would just quit shooting. Well, a lot of people prompted me to try a release before I quit shooting. (Numerous shooters on this site and fellow shooters at the club) Yesterday, I received my release trigger from Skeets. Today, I went to the club and shot 3 rounds. I broke 25-24-25. Not one flinch!! It seemed to force me to follow through and not "poke" at the target. I realize it is not the "magic cure" for everything; but as of now I sure am glad I listened to you guys! Ed

2. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

A release trigger provides a superior firing action to that required by a pull trigger. It does make for a much smoother swing and follow through.

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Ed.......Welcome to the "release" club. A lot of shooters say that if they had to resort to a release trigger they would quit shooting. Funny thing is though, when the rubber meets the asphalt and they are forced to make the actual decision to make the change, 99 out of 100 do it. There are a lot of us out here that made the switch from pull to release just because we like the way it feels. I never had a flinching problem, but, right after the first time I shot a release for a complete round of trap I was hooked. I switched to release and have never looked back... Just my experience...Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

To bad you took so long. Certain parts of life and sport are difficult to overcome. Dan & I have the same outlook on the trigger. I guess I have been shooting a release trigger for 30 yrs. I am in the process of trying a new Kolar with there release trigger. looking forward to the experience.

Good Luck Ed.

Joe Woods/Ontario

5. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Remember to NOT RELAX that trigger finger if you call for a target and don't get one!!

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

You know I probably screwed up; as I went to a release / pull. I don't shoot a lot of doubles, but I do shoot some skeet and sporting clays. I had Skeets Gun Shop do the trigger work. However, I did ask Dean, (the gunsmith at Skeets), if I could convert it to a release/release at a future date. He said that would not be a problem. I don't know but it seems that getting used to a release/release would be quite difficult. So far I've shot 3 rounds with the release and I screwed up twice. Once I forgot to set the trigger and called for the bird and once I did relax the trigger finger after getting several broken birds in a row. It sure suprised me when the gun discharged. However, it sure helps a person to be smoother and to follow through. Ed

7. bgf

bgf Active Member

Ed,

Welcome to the "dark side". I was flinching so bad my barrel was jumping 6 inches. Went to a release like duck takes to water...archery background I guess. Good shooting...

Bernie

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Bernie, same thing for me. After shooting a recurve bow for years, I started shooting trap. I shot a pull trigger on my 1100. When I tried a Perazzi that was for sale, it had a release in it, so I shot it that way. The first time I shot that release trigger, my brain just went "Aaaaaahhhhh."

It just seemed like that was the way it's supposed to be.

9. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

purdey does'nt make many release triggers.

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

You'll find it's much tougher to not 'set' your pull triggers lol...

Jim

11. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

Years ago I read a piece that convinced me to go to a release trigger. The article said that with the standard trigger you perform an opposite action to the activity....pulling back to shoot at a target going away. It went on to say that a release has you going forward with your trigger finger to break a target going away. Made sense to me. After 100 targets I was sold on a release. Several weeks later I went to a double release trigger and never have looked back.

Unfortunately I avoid Annie Oakley fun shoots. I don't like holding the set trigger waiting for the next turn and opening and closing the gun between turns takes a bit more time than I like.

Augie

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Augie,

If you let off a couple in the air, you will be pleased at how much more room you have in the Annie line.

13. fracdog

fracdog TS Member

Just changed to a release in my 1100 and glad i did.I think u will be glad u did also.

14. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

JBrooks...hadn't thought of that.

Augie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.