1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release Trigger At Pattern Board

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by MOP, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOP

MOP Active Member

I shoot a release for the usual reason, and have no problem with it at all on moving targets. I cannot release the trigger at a stationary pattern board without a flinch unless I swing to the spot and release. Is my condition unique, or is this just part of the flinch/release problem?

2. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I have heard from Phil Simms's (the stockmaker) that most people that shoot a release have a hard time being steady when shooting at his pattern board. I guess I'm lucky, I don't. But you are not alone.

If you are shooting just to count pellets it should not be a big deal. But If you are shooting for point of impact you must shoot at least 5 shots at the same mark otherwise you won't be accurate. I personally use a measured 30 yards for most of my POI testing, and shoot a minimum of 5 shots at the same mark on a piece of cardboard, but 10 is better. This throws out the shots that are a little high or low and left and right, and shows you where your true POI is. It works for me.

Best of luck

Tom Strunk

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I prefer coming up to the POA mark and releasing the trigger just like I would shoot a target. I think it minimizes horizontal errors.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I shoot a release and I have the opposite problem. I can hit the patterning board, it is the moving targets I have a problem with.

Tom- I understand your idea of shooting 5 shots at the same 30 yard point to determine the POI, but I also believe your method will introduce an artificial error.

If you shoot 5 (10 is better) shots at 5 different points at 13 yards, you will clearly see that you pulled off on one shot. Your method both increases the probability of an aiming error and it will include the aiming error. The 13 yard system decreases the probability of an aiming error and when one occurs, it is tossed out.

Pat Ireland

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Pat, when Tom speaks of being a little off, a little high,low or off to one side or the other. It's probably less then a couple inches, if that!

When I sight in any of my rifles, there's 10 aiming spots I use for each of those 10 shots. I want to definitely know where each of those shots goes for sure. I happen to do it the same way for my POIs with my foul fowling tool from close to farther away also. In both, I wanna rule out shooter mistakes from tool glitches.

If a shooter has problems sighting in a trap load for whatever reasons, don't buy a .458 Win mag thinking of an African hunting trip. Those have to be sighted in also. Hap

6. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Pat I've seen you post about using 13 yards as your method of finding POI before. You have your way and I have mine, end of story.

I much prefer to be at a yardage that will also let me see the pattern's width at the yardage I'm actually shooting a target at. I also use 40 yards to check POI for my handicap tests, but this time 10 shots at the same mark for sure. I have had Tom Wilkinson and Tom Seitz blueprint my barrels on my trap guns and they all used 30 yards as a constant, not 13.

I believe that when you purchase a new gun that you should at least shoot it at a mark on cardboard to be sure the barrel is at least shooting somewhere close to point of aim and any reasonable yardage can be used for this quick test. Then go shoot the gun and adjust until you get the best breaks, then go back and check your POI for future reference should you ever need to adjust to go back to square one.

For me I used a 70/30 POI on my Winchester Super-X (Seitz) then when my K-80 Trap Special was purchased (Wilkinson) I adjusted the POI to 70/30 on the pattern board at the yardages I have talked about above. On the third day of shooting the K-80 I ran a 100 from the 27 at the Utah State shoot. I'm not trying to sell you on my method but it works for me.

Tom Strunk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.