1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release timing/speed and target breaks

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DTrykow, Dec 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Looking for some input on release trigger speed and target breaks. I shoot an Allem roller release and noticed that at the 16yd my breaks are slightly ahead of the bird. At the 27yd I'm almost always hitting the front of the bird. I have a K-80 which swings very easy. But I was also thinking my release maybe too slow causing a slight delay. I'm new to the release world so I'm looking for some opinions on this. Thanks and Merry Christmas everyone. Dave T.

2. TjayE

TjayE Member

I think John has different size rollers to either "Speed up" or Slow down" the trigger release. Tom

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You can ask John and I'm sure he'll be willing to install the roller you NEED to speed up your release-for a price of course!!

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

My shooting improved a lot when I went to a very fast, almost instantaneous
    release. My feeling is that the less time between when your brain says shoot and the gun fires, the better. If that weren't true, shooters wouldn't be shooting Seitz's and the other guns with the fastest lock time.

5. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

you are so close to being right! shoot it awhile. you want to be in front not behind. Just so you are not waiting for it to go off.

6. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I can get a smaller roller and install myself. Allem's gave me a roller that "most" people shoot with. Dave T.

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

If the release trigger is too fast when I swing on a hard angle target the gun will already be empty before I catch up to the bird. I like a little bit of forward movement so I can get a feel of when the trigger will go off.

8. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

lock time is over rated, consistency is the key

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Lock time is not over rated, it is just not understood by a lot of shooters.

Guns with fast lock times like Silver Seitz, Mach-One, Infinity, Alferman they are consistant and need to be adjusted to each individual shooter.

A gun with a slow locktime like a Remington 1100 takes a shooter learning how to shoot it, it just doen't happen over night

And neither does the Fast Locktimes, it takes a learning curve and amount of crrep each shooter likes.

I had an Kolar that had an extremely fast trigger, had to send it back to Keith and had a slower one installed.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

release points and lock time are not the same. the difference in lock time is so small, there other variables involved like speed of gun movement

11. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

In my opinion you are correct in your assessment. I have a roller release and was trying the different rollers this weekend. If I went down one roller number from what I have been using I was not quite catching the target before it went off. If I went up one roller I was in front of or over the target. It is a great system. You might try going down one roller i.e. from III to II to speed it up just a little.

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If one does not understand locktime, shoot a Browning Recoilless the next time you get a chance. Feels like a FLINTLOCK!

I can definitely tell the difference between my Brownings and my Blaser. The Blaser has a RIGHT NOW trigger, although the Browning is pretty fast.

13. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Essentially you hve two choices in release trigger shooting. Many really good release shooters are able to hold onto the blade long enough to see the proper leads at the end of their gun bbl. And then the release takes place. Others (many equally as good but fewer) use gun momentum to go thru the target and the release goes off at the point of reaching the proper lead, but the visual is not there. The guys that like faster releases fall into the latter category usually. If you are a relatively new release shooter, you can learn and adapt to either. Just make a choice and realize that you probably have a 2000 target learning curve.

I have sent you a PM as well

14. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

it is relative as long as it stays consistent

15. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

When I switched over to a release I started missing right angle shots because I was releasing the trigger before I got the gun where it needed to be. I have been making good strides but there was a learning curve for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.