1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release/Release Feedback

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I joined the release trigger movement about 6 months ago; due to a terrible flinching problem. I took to the release concept like a "duck takes to water". It made shooting fun again. However, I just purchased a release for my Super X-1. I tried to shoot skeet with it the other day. I did ok on the singles. But when it came to shooting the doubles it was disasterous to say the least. I just could not coordinate the process of setting and releasing the trigger quickly to shoot the 2nd shot of the doubles. My Beretta O/U has a release/pull and that gives me no problems. However, with a sem-auto or a pump you don't have that option. Come to think of it, if you shot doubles with a pump that had a release you have another thing to do. (Pump the gun while setting the trigger)!! I used to watch Vic Reinders do it many years ago with his 31TC; but didn't realize the entire process involved. Anybody had problems adjusting to the release/release process? Thanks. Ed

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

It took me a long time to adjust to Double Release. First thing was to get the gunsmith to slow the trigger down to something I could cope with. After that I could visualize myself setting the trigger, releasing it for the first shot in Doubles and then immediately setting it again even before moving my gun towards the 2nd bird. This is actually the same motion as release/pull on the first shot and then you have plenty of time for the 2nd shot and try to remember that you have plenty of time because you do.

3. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I would encourage you to shoot skeet to get used to the double release. With opposite directions it forces you to release , reset, and move before gun goes off. Trap doubles improved after shooting skeet for fun. Besides, nothing drives the skeeters any crazier than a double release.

Charlie

4. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Ed, for most shooters who need a release trigger due to flinching, they need a release on EVERY target gun they shoot. I think that a big part of your problem is the release/pull triggers you have on your Beretta.

Get that Beretta switched to a double release and get used to shooting a release on everything. That way, your mind won't be confused as to what you are shooting that day.

I agree with Charlie that shooting skeet is good practice to get used to a release trigger. BTW, there are a lot more people shooting double release triggers on skeet than you might think. It shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 rounds of skeet (at the most) to get used to a release trigger on an auto or double release on an O/U.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.