1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release/Release advice

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have been shooting a release for about a year. I took to it like a duck to water. No problems at all making the switch from pull to a release. Here is my problem. When attempting to use my Super X-1 for sporting clays and/or skeet, (which involves shooting doubles at times), I can't get the "hang" of setting that release again for the 2nd shot! Now I will admit I haven't attempted to use the release/ release as a routine way of shooting; as when I shoot sporting or skeet, I install the pull trigger. (Which of course reverts back to the dreaded flinch numerous times). Has anyone out there had a problem with the release/release when shooting 2 targets? I think I just need to give it more time. It just seems so hard to be aware of resetting the trigger and still concentrate on the 2nd target. Maybe its like "pumping" my Model 12 between shots; after awhile you just do it without thinking? Anyway, any people out there had a problem with getting used to the release/release system? Thanks. Ed

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Hi Ed, I had a lot of troubles switching to a double release. You have heard about "visualization" that psychological practice where you purposely imagine yourself doing something until it gets to be automatic without thinking. Try it with a double release. Visualize yourself releasing the trigger for the first shot and smoking the target, and immediately setting the trigger for the 2nd target before you even move the gun. I did this exercise and now it is automatic but I don't dare think about it or I will get into trouble. Also I wear a glove with the finger cut out on my trigger hand just so the pistol grip doesn't slip and slide out of my hand and I keep firm pressure of the recoil pad against my shoulder pocket so Not to let go of the whole gun after the first shot. Think "Aggressive Set - Aggressive Release".

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Shooting a lot of singles with a release trigger is not good for learning to set the trigger for the second shot of doubles. Shoot ONLY doubles for awhile and it will quickly become second nature for you to set the trigger for the second shot.

4. esoxhunter

Mike: I understand what you are saying. I used to do a lot of law enforcement training, before my retirement. We called it a "psycho-motor skill". After a person practices a technique a couple thousand times, they then do it subconsciously. Just like tying your shoes. You don't think about the technique; you can do it while thinking about something else. And again a good analogy is the operation of a pump gun. You just pump it without thinking. So, I'll just take my gun out to the garage and start setting/releasing the trigger for a couple thousand times!! :) Thanks. Ed

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I had no problem switching from the release/pull to a double release when shooting doubles. For someone else having difficulty, I would suggest a doubles marathon.

Pat Ireland

6. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

If doubles marathon won't work go to the low house on skeet feild and bang away at doubles. Good practice for setting the second shot. Jake

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

No reason not to use a double release for trap, sporting clays, and doubles.
    It's just as natural to set the trigger for a release for the second shot as it is to release a pull trigger for the second shot. You just do it a few times and then you never have to think about it.

8. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

It may become second nature but I can verify it's a difficult start-up..I've shot a single release for a couple of years but switching to a double release has been a nightmare. I've even resorted to just shooting holes in the air to acclimate to the process. Yeaterday, I shot some doubles and I don't think I ever missed so many second targets. I either set the trigger and fired before I ever got a site picture or I totally forgot to set it until pointing at the bird only to pull the gun completly off. I even tried to shoot right targets first on all stations since I found moving left easier then right. Back to the drawing board!!!

Big Jack

9. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Big Jack nailed it with his post. Same problem here. Went from release/release to release/pull just so I could shoot the damn gun. Now the second bird flinches have reared their ugly head occasionally, but at least I can shoot the gun. So it's a work in progress, but not something that will be solved by merely reading some of the useless information provided above. Why can't people out there resist the urge to bang on their keyboard when they can't help the poster at all? Read some of the stuff said above and ask yourself why the hell people do that? Esoxhunter is looking for some help because he has a problem. Some of the responders could identify with it, and some don't have a clue.

There, I feel better...

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Actually, Jon, the advice has been pretty good, you're just not understanding it.
    Setting the trigger can't be a conscious act. The trick is to not let the conscious part of your brain get in the way. That's what MP3006, myself, and the other posters were trying to convey.
    Nobody using a pull trigger pulls the trigger and holds it. They release it, and that resets the trigger for the second shot. There needs to be a movement where your finger bounces back after the release - a mirror of the pull trigger movement.
    If you have to do it consciously, you're screwed, because trying to pull the trigger is what caused the flinch in the first place.
    One thing to try is to have a fairly firm grip on the stock, so that all the fingers are applying pressure, including the trigger finger. Not when you extend just the trigger finger, there will be more of a tendency for it to return to the clenched position- thereby setting the trigger for the second shot.

There, now I feel better.

11. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

What you don't get is that double release is not all that natural & easy for everyone. Like two of the guys above I suffer with it, but it's a work in progress for now. When Harlan said to me, "You've got the wrong trigger in the gun", the light came on (finally). I took the hook off the top barrel and life got better, but not perfect.

12. esoxhunter

First, I would like to thank everyone for their valuable input. I really feel that through a lot of practice, (both on the range and off); one can get used to this double release. I still feel that through a lot of repetitions one can perform this simple task without thinking about it. (And it sounds like that is the secret). Again, one does not consciously think about pumping a pump action shotgun when shooting multiple rounds. It seems resetting the trigger to fire a second shot would fall under the same scenario. (When you reset the trigger it is like pumping the gun) Does this make sense? Thanks. Ed

13. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

It took me less than 3 boxes of shells to completely master the double release trigger because I learned it that way from the beginning shooting American skeet. Some stations are single shots and some are doubles. I quickly learned how to operate the trigger as needed. I firmly believe that the reason it was so easy for me was because I didn't have to UNLEARN the way a person shoots with a release trigger when shooting singles.

In other words, shooting singles has ingrained the bad habit of releasing the trigger and STOPPING. Now you are going to have to UNLEARN that bad habit by replacing it with the proper habit. That means as soon as you release the trigger for the first barrel, you AUTOMATICALLY pull it to set the second barrel. Only repetitive practice will ingrain this into your brain.

By the way, practicing in the garage won't help you unless your gun has mechanical triggers. Inertia triggers won't reset for the second barrel simply by dry-firing the first barrel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.