1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esoxhunter, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Anybody out there ever had this problem with their release trigger? I was shooting yesterday and when I pulled the trigger, (to set it) it went off like it was a pull trigger. I tried it a 2nd time and the same thing happened. Needless to say it went back into the case and the trigger will be sent out Monday for repair. Thanks.

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

It's called "pulling through"and it's not unusual. Setting a release trigger is really dropping the hammer, except the release hook catches it -most of the time.

3. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

If you set the trigger slowly this can happen. Set it quickly and the hook should catch the hammer.

4. Beretta680

Beretta680 Member

It is unusual,The pin in the hammer may be broken.The trigger won't pull through unless there is something wrong.
    Ray Brightbill

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I agree with Ray above. It makes no difference if I set my release slow or fast, it always sets. If it is pulling thru, something is not right with the trigger. I assume this isn't your first time using the trigger. I think you would know when it's not functioning like it used to.

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

In reality it is new to me. This is my 1st time using it. The 1st trap was fine. On the 20th bird of my 2nd 25, I had it fire when I set the trigger. I tried again and the same thing happened. I then walked off the line and placed the gun back in its case. I have 3 other trap guns with release triggers and none of them have ever done this. I will send the trigger assembly to Phillip Crenwelge on Monday. Thanks. Ed

7. buster45

buster45 Active Member

I had this happen on a 391 if you dry fired it from the waist it would set but when you shouldered it it would fire like a pull through I took it back and they exchanged it,like someone said the trigger pin had a lot of play in it and probably caused the problem. Very unnerveing and could be very dangerous.

Buster

8. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

There are many different designs of releases most have a hook that catches a hammer or pin on the hammer. Some may be set slow but very few are designed that way so I always snap the trigger when setting it to avoid the hook from not engaging the hammer or pin securely. The faster a release is the less purchase the hook has on the hammer so crisp setting works best for me the only pull through firings I ever had was when I set the hooks too slow thinking about the focus and not focusing on the set trigger first a mind fart so to speak an it will wake you up for sure. The only trigger I have that you can set as slow as you want is a Rem 1100 they work different than most other releases. Amen

9. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

My K80 did the same thing at the Ohio State shoot last year. I took it to Phillip $35.00 (broken hammer pin)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.