1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

release poundage question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Snooky, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snooky

Snooky Member

Mine are set at 4.5 lbs. and 1.5 lbs. Hope this helps.

2. mono1393

mono1393 Member

Most release adjustments are 5 lbs set and 3 lbs release. You will find many variations of that depending on the individual.

3. Chester White

Chester White Member

It seems to me that the only important number is the pounds (or ounces) of the release. I don't think anyone "pulls" just hard enough to set the trigger and if he says it sets at 5 pounds, isn't it possible that he might have pulled the trigger to 6 or 7 pounds? It is after all the load on the trigger when it is released that fires the gun.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have no idea.

5. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

Chester, The set poundage is listed so you can tell how much you have to let up on the trigger before it trips. Example 5lb. set 3lb. release means you have to pull it at least 5 lbs. or more to set it and let up 2 lbs. for it to trip. The setting is a pretty fast release. The difference between the set and release determines how fast or slow it goes off. I like about a 5or6 lb. set and a 1lb. release. Every one says Oh my, that is fast and I say nay that is slow. You have to let up on my trigger 4lbs. before it trips. The 5lb.set 2lb. release you only have to let up 2lbs. I hope this helps. George

6. Snooky

Snooky Member

George,
    This is the simplest explanation I have read. My gun was set at 4.5 and 2.5 and I could not control it. I shoot unmounted and it would go off trying to get it to my shoulder. I talked to Kerry Allor and he told me it was to close. He sent it back at 4.5 and 1.5. What a difference. The man is a trigger genius and you are great at explaining. I never did fully understand until now. My reasoning until now was the more poundage for release the slower. It is just the opposite.

Thanks,
    Snooky

7. NintyT

NintyT Member

I'd like to ask a follow up question. It's easy to see how the set weight is measured, with a standard pull trigger gauge, but how do you measure the release weight? What type of tool is used? I've bout driven myself wacky trying to work this out in my head.

Steve j

8. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

Steve, You may use a regular spring loaded trigger pull gauge.I have a RCBS premium trigger pull scale. Make shure gun is unloaded put in a snap cap or fired empty cock gun put on trigger pull gauge and pull mine records with a little pointer when it clicks(sets) record poundage then holding the gauge release it slowly until trigger trips. There you go easy. Ehh! Harder to explain than do.George

9. NintyT

NintyT Member

Thanks George,

Guess I was over thinking it. Thought there might be a specific tool for the release weight.

Steve

10. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Spears did my release. I set it and hold it pretty tight. I let go, it goes off. I have no idea of the poundages and couldn't care less because it works.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

JBrooks, whatever your's is seems to be working great for you. If I were in your place, I'd have it measured and recorded just in case, chit happens.Easier to get back in the flow if you know the numbers that work for you. Hap

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

56 oz set 28 oz release

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.