1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

release points on double release

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Twinbirds, Jul 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

bought a 3200 dbl release, shoot the gun pretty well with the exception of what appears to be a hanging release. was shooting some really soft 1 onuce loads so I could stay in there and pick out what was causing the random loss and found the shot to be breaking way after I was off the trigger. Checked release points and it was down in the ounces could almost be completely off the scale before it released sometimes. What are some common release set points? I had though I could learn to shoot about anything but these really low release points have become an issue.

2. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

My guns release at 32 oz.

Tom Strunk

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

If you release the trigger completely, you should hardly notice how low the release point is. It sure sounds like there's a spring in there that's not strong enough. Is your set weight real low, too?

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

Both of my CGs set at 3 1/2 pounds (56oz) and release at 1 1/2 pounds (24oz)

--- Chip King ---

5. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Active Member

My K-80 TS sets at 5 1/2 and releases at 1 1/2

Ron Burdick

6. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

no set is 3lbs 12 ounces under and 4 lb over. there are no springs on the release hooks, release weights should be higher. would make a faster acting trigger. I have got one pin (pivot point) that was poorly placed, and is in fact flopping around in the air, until the trigger is set then the hammer spring force holds the release hook up where it should be. Seems like I'm going to be screwed this year on doubles with no gun. I'm not sure about the transition to the Roman silent release, I have heard that they are spongy when set? doesn't this have an effect on timing issues?

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have all my releases set to, set at 56oz and release at 28oz on both triggers.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. Dr.Longshot

You need your 3200 releases tuned. Can easily be done, try Phillips Gunsmithing

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I shoot 80/40. If a any slower than that my crossfire is the dominant issue. Phillip just reset 2 TM triggers to the above and one MX bottom first to the same.

80/40 is fast, but my crossfire can only be defeated by having the gun go off prior to the crossfire taking over.

Coons the maker of Precision triggers feels that 80/27 is preferred. Kiner feels similarly.

Allem's roller Release gives you a choice of very slow to very fast.

some of us shoot better with very fast triggers.

10. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

OK thank you to all who answered. I hate to ship off before the Grand but maybe I can get it back before the Grand, at any rate not real effective with it as it stands.

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Twinbirds. When you get to the grand look up Phillip Crenwelge. He will have your trigger modified to your desires (set/release) before you shoot. He is fast, efficient, and VERY reasonable.

12. Dr.Longshot

I also recomend Phillip Crenwedge, good and fast turn around.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Your main spring plunger rod may be broken. D Winter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.