1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release Man, Unable to Pull.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FLAKETM, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Switched to release trigger four years ago and never looked back. However, I now am unable -- mentally I guess - to pull a trigger. Borrowed a gun to try some sporting clays and my finger won't work on a pull trigger at all. I can pull a trigger with my third finger but that's too awkward for decent shooting. How do you overcome the problem. Or do you? Thanks for any input.

2. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I shoot Clays and .....ahem....skeet.... with the release/pull, still flinch a bit on the 2nd bird, looks like I have it forever....

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I was able to switch back and forth for about a year, as long as I was shooting an unmounted gun with the pull trigger. Hunted with a pull trigger, and shot some sporting clays as well.

Now I can't shoot a pull trigger anymore for anything, and don't even try. I shoot sporting clays mounted or unmounted with a release trigger. A double release is so easy to use, I'm surprised anyone would want to shoot a release-pull.

4. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Since switching to release I shoot release or double release and haven't looked back. The few times I shoot S Clays or the dreaded skeet that it what I shoot. Once I put in the release hooks I left them there and have not looked back! I CANNOT however shoot a pull trigger for trap now. It is pretty ugly.

I shoot pull in ALL of my hunting guns and have never once "set" the trigger on one of them. Maybe because of the unmounted gun... Rick Gibbs

5. Joe McGorman

Joe McGorman TS Member

Flake Tm, I have the same problem. I used to be able to switch back and forth from pull to release with a mounted gun but now I have to shoot a release with a premounted gun. I know some friends of mine who have been shooting for 40 or 50 years of high volume trap and never developed a flinch, I am not so lucky. Read some where about Mercer Tennille, an All-American from the 1940's and 1950's that had developed such a bad flinch that he had to hold the gun off his shoulder about an half inch then call pull and pull the gun into his shoulder while moving to the target. He still managed to win many trophies at the Grand and stay on the All-American team using this technique.

Joe McGorman

6. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

It's some comfort to know I'm not alone. Thanks for replying.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I tried the realease but could not do it without flinching so went back to pull

8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I've been shooting a release for about a year. Love it !! However, I just can't seem to shoot a release/release. I guess I have not practiced enough. But when it comes to setting the trigger for a second shot, I seem to lose all concentration. It just seems it is one more thing to think about and I lose concentration on the second target. Maybe, I just need to keep practicing until setting the trigger becomes routine and I don't have to think about it. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.