1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Release for Sporting Clays

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esoxhunter, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I was at the local gun club the other day. I mentioned that I shoot a release/release for sporting clays. The general consensus was that many shooters only use the release trigger for trap. They do not use it for sporting clays. My argument was; what keeps a shooter from flinching? If the purpose of the release is to minimize the chances of a flinch; why only for trap? Does anyone out there use a release for trap and a pull for sporting? Thanks in advance for the input. Ed

2. fly

fly Active Member

i went to a release in all games in April this year. I am a sporting clay shooter, and a recreational trap shooter. I needed to shoot a release for the dreaded flinch. The only thing i do different in sporting clays is, i don't set the trigger until i see the target, unlike in trap where it is generally set prior to the call.

3. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

I use a release pull for all games so for I have been able to avoid the second shot flinch. Tom

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

There's no reason to even think about using a pull trigger fro sporting clays if you use one for trap. You're more likely to flinch in sporting clays because there's more uncertainty about the leads required and the right break point. I switched to a release because I was flinching in sporting clays.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Maybe you should look into a softer recoiling gun instead of bandaiding it with a release trigger.

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I flinch with a .410. Does that mean I need a gun with less recoil?. Oops, I already tried that. I also flinch with a .22 cal. rifle and shotshells. I did try quite a few shots with my son's BB gun today without any flinches. I think I found the answer!!

7. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The first trap gun I bought, a Citori, had a release. I didn't know any better, so I shot it. I liked it.

My next one had a release and then I bought a couple of Perazzis, with Precision releases and never looked back.

Shooting other games with pull triggers, I forget and sometimes "set" my pull trigger. No one but me thought it was funny when I did it.

So, for my guns for skeet and SC, I now have releases, too.

Bob

8. doc boc

doc boc Member

I shoot double release for sporting, skeet and trap with no problems. doc

9. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Lots of release trigger shooters in sporting clays they have a rule here in Florida that your gun MUST have a R or release sticker on the stock which is a good idea for all release guns in case of a mistake in the rack and a shooter getting the wrong gun a good safety issue for sure.

10. esoxhunter

I suppose you can make the argument that someone could take your gun off the rack by mistake and would be "surprised" when the gun turned out to have a release trigger. However, it still escapes me as to the danger. You don't load the gun until you are on the shooting line. You always keep the gun pointed down range. You never attempt to place your finger inside the trigger guard unless the gun is in the shooting position and you are calling for the target. Please tell me how the release would be a danger to an unaware shooter? Do they load the gun off line, do they then close the action and place their finger inside the trigger guard while facing or socializing with fellow shooters?? To me the worst case scenario is that when shooting at the target they will be surprised when the gun discharges "after" they pulled the trigger. This makes no sense to me and I taught tactical firearms training for years; until retirement. I'd like to add one more thing. I have a Winchester Model 50 with a release. Phil Crenwelge placed a sticker on the gun stating that it has a release trigger. When my wife uses this gun, I have a different trigger group that is a pull. When she uses the gun that has the release trigger sticker on it; but in reality it has a pull trigger; is that a safety concern?? I think the whole argument is ridiculous. Ed

11. dtrap

dtrap Member

I shoot a double release on my trap gun and found that if I shoot sporting clays from a low hold position, then move, mount and shoot I do not flinch. Try it before you do anything.

12. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

For me, it's double release for everything since 1977 (except hunting, however little I do anymore). No problems setting the trigger at off-the-shoulder position for skeet and clays. If not for releases, I would not be shooting the clays games.

Larry

13. buster45

buster45 Active Member

I never flinched shooting trap...developed a severe flinch st sporting clays,I was shooting 1150 fps shells so that was not the problem..it is a subconsious indecison problem...went to double release about 4 years ago and have enjoyed shooting much much more.

Buster

14. esoxhunter

Buster: I don't believe that recoil is the major cause of flinching. I agree that sometimes it is. However, I think a flinch in many people are caused by exactly what you describe. Causes can include not seeing the target clearly, lack of confidence, pressure of shooting a bad score, etc. The more these causes occur, the worse your scores are and the more you flinch. If it weren't for a release trigger I would have quit shooting several years ago. Ed

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have been shooting a release 40+years and I built my first release for my
    M-12, I shoot the release in all venues, Sporting, Skeet, 5 stand, Trap ,

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

release trigger for sporting clays

release vlay for shooting

sporting clay shoot waiver