1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Relatives who move away

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jun 24, 2013.

1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    How many of us have relatives that decided to move to another state for one reason or another. It could be job related, or they did not like the climate, or possibly you looked into the future and felt your parents were getting older and there is no way that you wanted to someday have to deal with taking care of them.

How many times these same people make unannounced visits back home expecting everyone to drop what they are doing to pay homage to them. They expect the band to play, and the parade and parties to begin as they are returning home like a war hero from Iwo Jima.

How many of these same relatives are Monday morning quarterbacks on how they feel the care that you are giving your elderly parents should be as they don't agree with the way your handling their situation.

My response to these relatives, if you think you can do better, move your arse back home and do it yourself.

One thing that I will guarantee you about some relatives, once the parent dies, they will be there front and center attempting to get everything the parents owned that is not bolted down to the floor. There arms and hands will be fully extended out as far as possible asking where's my share of the loot?

Do any of you have any of these relatives in your relation? I sure do. My advice to these relatives, stay home!
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Steve, you have problems with the neighbors, you seem to be having problems with the relatives. What is the common element in the problems? Steve, that's who. LOL, Mike.

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

You have way too much time on your hands. Get a PT job or volunteer your services at someplace that could use your help. Get off your butt and do something constructive & worthwhile.

Eric

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

No one here wonders why they moved away, Steve.

Neil

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I have a brother and two sisters who moved out of state and decided one day that I should do things differently helping mom out....The easy fix was that they were informed most of the things I do can be done over the phone or internet and they were more than welcome to take care of business. Amazing how attitudes changed!!

6. senior smoke

likes to shoot:
    I agree.
    Steve

7. senior smoke

To some, this thread will strike a nerve for one reason or another.
    Steve

8. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

So you had visitors over the weekend Steve?

9. senior smoke

Bisi:
    No, but the sob's are on the way.
    Steve

10. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Now, now Steve that isn't the attiude to take. LOL They aren't even here yet!

I know what you mean though. I have family that comes in twice a year - usually over the 4th and Christmas. I dread the days before their arrival. I got my routine, places I go and things I do are my pleasures and they disrupt that! I like my routine and don't want to deviate. But the fact is I usually have a great time with em, and I usually wonder why I make a big deal out of their visits. I think - dam that wasn't so bad, in fact it was kinda fun. But then prior to the next visit I get grouchy.

Ever hear of “Anticipation is better than participation" well it works on the flip side too. Participation isn’t as bad as the anticipation you are having about the family dynamic.

Take em to a Brewers game and you can sit back and have a beer, brat, and a bag of peanuts and throw the shells on the ground. That can't be that bad, can it?

11. senior smoke

Bisi:
    If I took them to a Brewer's game that would be the ultimate revenge. This is why I hate when my wife's relatives come. First of all, they stay with us. I can't do the things I normally do, because from the time they step off the plane I have to work like a one armed paper hanger.

I have to pick them up at the airport and take them back. They want to be taken out for dinner each evening and they all have very short arms when reaching for their wallets.

Then they are to cheap to rent a car, so I have to let them use one of mine. Every time they come, I get the car back with virtually no gas in it.

And the biggest gripe I have is none of them have a sense of humor. I mentioned in another thread that my wife is from Germany and her family fought for the Germans. They never smile, so at the family reunion I told a joke in German which was " did you here about the new German microwave? It seats 12!

When I told this joke not one laughed, and my wife kicked my leg underneath the table and got pissed at me. I guess you have to know your audience. The #1 reason I hate when they visit is, I hate always taking them to German restaurants all the time. If your on vacation wouldn't you like to try different types of food?

The biggest laugh I ever got out of them from one of my jokes was HMMM!

I just found out that my wife's younger cousin is also coming with them. Maybe things will be looking up as she looks a lot like the governess in the old movie the sound of music.

I forgot, they arrive Sunday and this messes up my day of shooting too.
    Steve

12. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Steve, I have a house in Fl. that is mostly empty. You can try it out while your family are visiting your wife. Close to the Silver Dollar. Mike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. senior smoke

Mike:
    Beautiful home. If I jumped into that pool someone would say harpoon him. My wife just read this thread and I told her I'm only joking around. She said did you ever think your not as funny as you think?

I thought a minute about what she said, and said, not really. In all seriousness, I love my wife's relatives, they can stay here as long as they like. They can use my car and I'll even pay for the gas. I will take them to every German restaurant Milwaukee and nearby Chicago offers.

Steve

14. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Steve, now that's funny. I had an uncle who served in Europe in WWII, and he said every Kraut (German) he talked to claimed to have cousins/relatives who lived in Milwaukee. I also read that in a book about the war in Europe too. It must've been a running joke - that every Kraut has relatives in Milwaukee. LOL

15. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Make sure that all your "spare" automobiles are on M.T., take them to whatever restaurant YOU want to go to, sit waaaay back when the check comes and just let it sit for a while, go shoot your program Sunday and pick them up from the Airport on the way back. While you are at the Airport go to the Book-seller and pick up a book of jokes, read them right out of the book. If they don't laugh at a good one just tell them their sense of humor is warped. If they are coming from Deutschland to visit then just remember that as a race, Deutschmen are ALWAYS taking things serious. That's why they are such efficient bureaucrats and engineers.

Just kidding,

Don T. Littleton CO

16. senior smoke

Bisi:
    You hit the nail on the head. These people are all in the 90's. Jokingly, I told my wife that we should hire candy stripers like the hospitals and purchase some metal carts and serve them breakfast with the lids on top of the plates.
    Steve

17. senior smoke

Rick:
    My arm still hurts!
    Steve

Don:
    I often tell my wife that her family is wrapped to tight and they need to loosen up a bit. She said they are very serious people. I completely the opposite where I find humor in almost every thing.

Flashmax:
    I will refrain from telling them that their humor is warped. I do not want to spend 30 days in the cooler.
    Steve

18. abbielew

abbielew TS Member

Okay Steve... I can talk openly now
    as these lush buckets are now ex relatives, like ex-wife stuff.
    ex--wife's sister and dumb ass brother in law, As long as I brought the
    wine or whiskey for x Mass or Easter, everything was goodie, goodie
    and they had all the smart things to say. Well one year, I did not take
    any wine for X mass, they asked where is the wine. I said go buy your own
    dam wine. ex wife got pissed, ex mother in law and sister and dumb ass husband
    got pissed off.

Like I said, they are all EX now. I drink all of my own wine, whiskey
    and eat my own steaks, Last I heard they were still pissen and moennig.
    P.S. Ex wife and her bunch were Germans to.

I say the Hell with them.

19. senior smoke

abbielew:
    I'm glad it worked out for you. I know exactly what you mean. I grew up with Germans, I married a German, I do love most Germans. But there are some truths to every stereotypes of every race and nationality.

For all I know they probably think I'm dishonest because I'm Italian. Now that I think of it, I did mention to them that the way you could tell Italian soldiers was because they usually had their hands held over their heads. Also I said Italians will always go over to the winning side.

I'm always playing pranks, joking around, and maybe it's just because they are old, or it's the language barrier, but they look at me like I'm from a different planet. I looked up on Google translate what they said one time in German and I do remember the English translation as crazy.

I told my wife to plan the restaurants for them, the itinerary, and I'll handle every thing.
    Steve

20. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Steve you could do what my parents did, they sent me out to buy a gallon of milk and moved while I was gone! No forwarding address