1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RELATIVES AND THE HOLIDAYS!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I dread the holidays as some of my relatives are insane. My relatives are upset that I told an elderly uncle that if he can not make Christmas eve dinner at a certain time this year, he will either have to come later or we will see him next year.

I have an uncle in his 80's. He has been married four times and at present he is dating a 60 year old woman. Each year if he is married or not, he throws a wrench into hoilday plans as he says he has to attend the woman that he is with family gathering, and we need to change our schedules.

Every year the entire family has to change our plans for him. Usually he comes at least one hour late messing up festivities even more. This year my wife and I are scheduled to have Christmas eve dinner and the opening of one gift each for the children. After this is done we all go to midnight mass, and back for breakfast.

My uncle who thinks and acts like he is Hugh Heffner is financially loaded, but has lived a life of family members catering to his every wish and whim and command, as he is the other older brother of my mom's family. They always want to stay on his good side for possible inheritance for when he someday passes away.I told him that he needs to make changes so he can show up on time this year or we are proceeding without him.

Little by little my mother is informing me that her other seven brothers and sisters feel there was no reason to be rude to him, and I should have tried to work around his schedule. I emailed all of them and said when they have the holiday at their house, they can decide what exceptions can be made.

I would never attempt to hurt anyone's feelings, but I don't feel I should not have to change plans again for him and his new girlfriend. He has a new girlfriend every year. What do you think? What would you have done?

Steve Balistreri

2. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

Yes go on as planned everyone else will enjoy, there always seems to be one sour apple. All the best.

J.F.

3. senior smoke

Rick and Jack:
    For an old man he seems to never go any place alone. Always has one female on his arm. Trust me with 4 x wives, kids, girlfriends, the money will be gone. Last year my mom had Christmas eve, and her dinner was at 7pm. He should up at 9:45pm, my mom's dinner was ruined from reheating up the food a couple times, because he said he was on his way. He won't pull this on me because I have his number and he knows it. He's is also chief engineer on the red nose express.
    Steve

4. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Give yourself a Christmas present; take a cruise.

5. senior smoke

Mike:
    Smartest thing I heard today.
    Steve

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Steve you did the right thing. Why should all be put out for the sake of one. I feel he is the one being rude, not you. Bulge.

7. senior smoke

Bulge:
    My mother told me she got a message from her sister that she now won't come after the way I treated her brother. LET THE HOLIDAYS BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Steve

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Uh! Oh! With a name like Balistreri ... sure hope he isn't one of the Wise Guys!

Merry Christmas!

9. senior smoke

I got a message from my mom that her brother now thinks he might be able to come at the scheduled time. I told her we eat at 7pm, not one minute later.
    Steve

10. porky

porky TS Member

Steve, You made a good decision to take a stand. As you have seen it has worked out. At Chrismas time, it is a family time, not an individual's. I used to have the same problem when I was married. I simply proceeded with the planned activities for the rest of the family and those that chose to show up fashionably late had to catch up when they showed up. If we had to go somewhere, we went and if they wern't invited, they had to go back home. Otherwise, they could tag along.

11. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

I have a sister-in-law who would always show up late for family gatherings. When relatives from out of town came in we went to dinner with reservations at 7:30pm and told her 7. She showed up at 9:00 when we were walking out of the restaurant. I told her the meal and company were excellent and she finally got the message. If we tell her 7, she is now on time.
    Pat Haskins

12. senior smoke

Git-ER-Done and Patrick Haskins:
    I can not stand people who are always late. I honestly feel that it is rude. Now if your stuck in traffic or there is an unavoidable delay I understand. I have a friend that is always late. It literally drives me crazy. Now the people that canceled out on me, have now called back after their older brother said he will attend, wanting to attend now. I told my mother to tell them SOL, but my wife said to my mom, no problem at all. My wife said I need to work on being nicer to people. I told her I treat people the same way they treat me.
    Steve

13. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I HAD a family like that. I disowned them. Bulge.

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

My brother was that way. We finally figured out, if we wanted to eat at one o'clock, we tell him we were eating at 12 o'clock. He still be late, but not as bad.

Hate to say it, but I had to do the same as Bulge did.

Hauxfan!

15. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Steve- You did the right thing, and stood your ground. If he doesn't like it, then he can have Christmas at his house, and nobody would show up. You don't have to get run over like that. Take a cruise. My mother in law is similar. She lives in the other house here on the farm. My father in law died two years ago, and she wants to be waited on like Queen Elizabeth. She won't do nothing for herself, won't bathe regularly, won't go get her hair done and has the worst B.O.. She gets mad that nobody comes to visit. The wife and I try to tend to her needs, but she bitches all the time. My brother in law comes out once a month, maybe, changes a light bulb, and you'd think he was her only child. Hold your ground, the best you can, try to have a Merry Christmas. Charlie Henderson

16. abbielew

abbielew TS Member

Senior Smoke,

You got your sorry ass between a rock and hard place. Tell
    the uncle to F- /; off. You are the Man of the House.
    Stand up for your self.

I can't wait to hear the end results of this one.
    Where do you live, I will also watch the Obituaries.

Birddog

17. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Had a problem a few years ago. I was having the dinner and a family member called to tell me to hold off until his DOG was done eating. WTF !!!! Apparently, the dog eats at the same time everyday, and we need to wait until after the pooch ate, AND they was able to drive 30 minutes to get to my house. Needless to say..... they ate warm ups.

It's your house, you are putting on the feast, you make the dinner time.

Jerbear

18. senior smoke

Birddog:
    Darn right, I'm the man of the house, king of the castle. Only problem is my wife doesn't realize it. By the way, what is said on this site stays on the site. I live in Wauwatosa, suburb of Milwaukee.
    Steve

19. senior smoke

I forgot to mention this same uncle calls my mother and request no salt in his food. I told my mom to tell him this isn't hospital food. Maybe it's best if he eats elsewhere. I told her to tell him our main course is anchovies.

Here's our menu. I have been saving up all year long for this party, as I love to eat.
    Steaks and salmon
    taters, with jackets on and some off, mash potatoes with gravy
    green bean bake
    corn with pimento in it
    mushrooms
    salad
    home made warm Italian bread with whipped butter
    a onion and pepper dish
    Deserts- Home made Vienna torte
    Home made apple pie made in a bag
    home made ice cream
    Steve

20. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Damn Smoke, talk about SCROOGE being cranky. Feed the poor old guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.