1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Relation of pitch to POI

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cuspid2, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cuspid2

cuspid2 TS Member

I lowered the adjustable comb on my BT99 as low as I could and still have a 70/30 pattern I am trying to get as close to 50/50 as possible before changing or altering the rib Would changing the pitch with shims help in any way to lower the POI

thanks for any advise

Miles Kletter

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Remove wood from comb or buy a spare comb to rasp on until you get the poi you want.

I not sure why you would want to be quite that flat for trap. I think you will find better scores by learning not cover the bird so much. ( hard to see the bird when you master eye is blocked }.

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Putting on a taller front bead will lower your POI dramatically. Wayne

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

In a year or two you will be going up not down (flat) .

This is Trap the targets are going up you need a gun that shoots high . Most shooters shoot a higher gun 60/40 is flat for Trap .

70/30 is not that high . A gun that shoots 50/50 is a rabbit gun .

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Changing the pitch won't accomplish what your after either. Take these guys advice, shoot it at a few inches high for now, later on you'll probably raise it even more!

Hap

6. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

My advise is to learn to shoot the gun as is.

Take the gun with a full choke tube in it to the trap range, get a trap to your self, have the trap help locked the trap to throw straight aways from post 3 (close is fine; move to get a true straight away), find the sight picture where you are smoking the targets. The move to post 2,4,1,5 to find the sight pictures.

Jason

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I think you could be missing for other reasons other than poi, IMHO

Take WaveRiders advise and set it up for you.

Touch the bottom of the bird and watch it soot.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Miles- Are you sure you really want a trap gun that shoots 50/50 ? That is really a low shooting gun. For me, I want a gun that shoots 90/10 or higher.

Pat Ireland

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Jason the Waverider is right on. KISS.

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

IMHO, pitch's prime effect is on comfort & fit to your shoulder's profile. POI is usually changed by comb adjustment. 70-30 is just about the minimum. Why would you need a flat shooting gun to kill a rising target? Get to a "good" gun fitter. It will be the best thing you can do for good shooting.

Phil Berkowitz

11. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Changing the pitch will have little or no affect on your POI, though it may help your gun fit and comfort (as in felt recoil). as suggested, the easiest way to lower the POI if your comb is already down as far as possible is to raise the front sight/bead. Brownells makes a larger bead that will help accomplish this, and you should be able to get one that will directly replace the existing bead. Easy change back also if later you decide you want the higher POI after all.

12. victoria K

victoria K Member

Another option is to install a add-on rib, we can make a rib and install a little pitch to it to help lower POI (lower in the back and a little taller upfront)
    if I can be of any help just give me a shout Thanks Vicki Keen 661-873-7162

13. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

The comments above are certainly solid info. But there is more.
    Go to shotgunreport.com and read the articles on gunfitting. Bruce Buck is a highly regarded international competitor in several disciplines and a respected coach. He tells no tales and does not lie.

It never hurts to know the facts.

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.