1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Relaoding cost

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by twcpdc, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

I have been out of shooting for a few years. Looking to start shooting more so I woulf like to know how much it will cost to reload 12 ga. now I know it will have a high and low spread but someone give a good average price.
    Thanks Tom

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Right now I'm reloading a load that duplicates an STS shell. My cost is $3.93/box but that doesn't include the cost of wads (I'm using the 2500 free wads given away by Downrange Mfg from their end of year giveaway (Thanks again to DR MFG!)).

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Tom- It depends on what load you select and where you get your components. Three to $3.50 is a ball park range for the costs of components per box. This does not allow for shot/powder that is spilled on your floor and bad shells that sometimes get into your press. This estimate involves only the direct cost of components, the not cost of driving to the component store and any interest that might be incurred if you use a credit card for the purchases. If you want to calculate your actual costs, it can get very complicated. I can help you depreciate the cost of your reloader and pro rate the square feet of you home to reloading and factor in utilities, insurance, taxes and your depreciated home value to the reloading area-- but I suspect you really are not interested in the true cost.

If you find reloading is fun-- do it.

Pat Ireland

4. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

Not going to reload for fun it needs to be a good savings over buying flats in bulk like 10 flats or more. I don't enjoy the mess or the greif the mess gets me. If you know what I mean. So reloading will save 1.50 a box or in that range give of take .25. Would that be fair.
    Thanks Tom

5. Flybob71

Flybob71 TS Member

$3.42 a box. I remember when it used to be about $2.42 a box, but then again, shot was $17/$18 a bag, primers were $20/1000, and powder was cheaper. To be around $3.50 a box is about right.

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Tom, without figuring in your space or machine and time. Standard l l/8 oz. load will vary about $4.16 to $4.86 a box (plus tax) depending on quality of the components used.One oz. loads are around 25 cents less a box. This is buying in large volume at a time and buying at the best prices offered at present time with good hard shot Lawerence. Now if you buy poorly at Bass Pro or Gander Mountain you will pay more sometimes alot more. There is a cost calculator on TS.com's home page, all you do is figure in your prices. Most shooters will drive long distances to pick-up components at best price and no shipping or hasmat fee's as this will add to the prices I have listed. Some of your states big shoots might sell components at the shoot. Now bear in mind that these loads are as good as a new Box of Rem. STS's or Win. AA's and not the economy loads that use dirty powder and softer shot and cheap wads too. So compare these prices against the 8.50 to 9.00 dollars for new loads that are the same your reloads. Hope this helps you out. Break-em all. Jeff

7. ddsflyer

ddsflyer TS Member

Depends upon gauge. Primers and wads cost the same regardless of gauge. Using first quality components my costs are as follows: 12ga 1oz loads using AA hulls, $4.63/box. 20ga 7/8 oz loads using AA hulls, $3.87/box. 28ga 3/4oz using AA hulls, $3.17/box. Smaller gauges require less shot and powder. Interesting because 28ga shells cost more new than 12 or 20ga. I usually get about 8 reloads before a hull becomes unusable, then I buy once fired AA hulls and start all over again. If I could find a good source of Rem STS hulls I would buy those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.