1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reinforcing Mec Shot bottles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by biff, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

I cracked the neck on one of my shot bottles and decided to reinforce it....I do not have the bottle support on my reloader. I used JB Weld and put it around the cracked neck, others may do other repairs or throw away and buy new; I like to make do. I put some reinforcing material in the JB weld hopefully to make it stronger. Thanks for looking, Biff
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I only fill my shot bottles hald full. It prevents stuff from wobbling around. The bag is right at my feet, and the funnel hangs a foot away.

I now see it's a good way to avoid a problem.

HM

3. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I'm going by memory, but it seems to me that the bracket was about $5.00. I might be wrong, but not by much.

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

The new bottle is cheaper than the JB weld and time to gob it up

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

The first 20 years of reloading I never had any type of bottle support.

But when I upgraded to a 9000 I decided to put bottle supports on too.

As far as I can see, they work great.

Hauxfan!

6. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

I put a piece of folded cardboard between the two bottles then one wrap of tape.

Beats the $33.53 cost of bottle support on Mec's Web Site.

Regards

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I used JB weld on the transaxle on my cub cadet ten years ago..Its still holding.

8. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

If the MEC is CORRECTLY mounted on the bench there is NO wobble, and all this is unnecessary. If the unit is flopping about, it means that it is not mounted on a flat surface and/or the bolts (not screws) are not torqued properly.

9. biff

biff Active Member

I thought so! I just knew all of you who responded would congratulate me on my ingenuity and know many of you will repair all your broken Mec bottles exactly as I showed you how it's done. Not only are they stronger and can stand alone full of shot and unbalanced but are esthetically much more pleasing to the eye. Just be reminded, imitation is the greatest form of flattery! Biff

10. capvan

capvan Active Member

Biff, I congratulate and commend you for your ingenuity. Really! There are too many people on these threads whose only solution to things is to buy something. I, too, make do and patch, patch, patch. I feel better as well, when I can fix something.

Good Job!

Bruce

11. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

I have cracked a few in my days of reloading and found it much easier to replace the bottles with regular bottled water bottles. And when they get dirty where it is hard to see through them, I just replace it with another bottle. I like free stuff!

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Getting between a rock and a hard place while loading is hard on those plastic bottles. Tilting them backward with shot in them is a sure way to add stress cracks. I solved that problem! I never tiltum backwards anymore on my 9000H.

Biffer, your fix although not pretty, works just fine! Like a few other things we love that may not be considered pretty, we still love it a lot.

Hap

13. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

I put a HEAVY rubber band around both Bottles, it Helps a lot

14. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I also use the plastice water bottles. I don't buy the water either. I use the faucet since I was born. I let the other one buy the water and through away the bottles. The plastic don't decay in the land fill so I guess I'm doing my part for the so called green. I wonder what the bottle drinkers do. B12

15. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I used white PVC pipe adapter (Brand: Genova #70131 fits 3 inch ID pipe to a 1 1/2 inch ID pipe, short piece of 3" ID Pipe (fits around the MEC bottle) and 1 1/2" ID pipe (this will fit around the MEC bottle thread on your reloader)); cost is about $3.00 (if that much) for the parts. I drilled half-inch holes in the 3" pipe so you can see your shot level when you're getting low. A little filing is needed to the 1 1/2" pipe to match up with the bottle when the bottle is screwed in. I cut the 3" pipe about 2 1/2 inches long; the 1 1/2" ID pipe cut to 1/2 inch long. This is a cheap cure to support the large MEC shot bottle. Since I drilled the holes in front, this is a quick reference to consistently fit your bottle as I can't always file exactly level. Darrell

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Not to be negative here but most plastics are impervious to adhesives. I don't think it will last long and will peel away pretty soon.

17. FLIP

FLIP Member

Barry I thought so too, but JB weld has been on my bottles for seven years.

18. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Any of the Epoxy mixes are good.

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

20. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

You UNCIVILISED BARBARIANS, your repairs look, shall we say, less than cultured. If you used hot glue like me, your repair would be relatively invisible, but then you probably don't hold your pinkies out while sipping tea either. Sniff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

custom mec shot bottle

safest way to fill mec bottles on reloader