1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??? Regulations for Sending Stock Across Border ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Newfoundlander, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

I am sure that this was discussed before so please go easy on an old guy....

I need to ship my Stock and Forearm to the United States from Canada for Refinishing..

Could anyone please tell me if there are any Regulations for doing so or is it considered with the same Respect as to shipping an ordinary Piece of Lumber through the Mail..

Many Thanks in advance,

Robert Appleby

( Newfoundlander )

2. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Robert I sold 2 Remington 700 factory stocks to a guide in Canada a couple of years back. Shipped them 2 days apart, one went through just fine but the other stock was confiscated by US Customs and on the papers sent to me was declared a weapon of war. I could have filled out tons of forms, contested it and maybe had it returned but for a $30 stock I returned his money and ate the loss. I don't think it is illegal but with the world the way it is who knows, You Can't Fight Stupid.
    Carey

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I have sent to stock sets to the US and bought from a US seller. I labeled my pieces as "CARVED WALNUT". No problem. The 870 stock I bought got here from California via USPS/Canada Post with no problems. I don't remember if the seller had labelled the package "CARVED WALNUT" or not. A wooden gunstock is NOT a weapon of war....unless you're a liberal. I guess....

Ron Burr

4. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

Wow that hurts...

This is a stock from a high end gun and I would not like to lose it..

What is it all coming to , Weapons of War..

I has a friend who was returning from Pa and the Eastern Zone shoot a few years back..

They checked his gun at the Airport , and conficated the snap caps as live ammo...

They held them as evidence for if they were to charge him in the near future..

Where do those guys get educated..

In any event, I appreciate hearing more advice,

Robert

5. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Ron I guess the stocks I shipped were weapons of war since they were black composite and the liberal part may be correct since the form declaring the stock as such was signed by a woman with a Spanish sounding name. Oops hope I didnt hurt any ones feelings.
    Carey

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Wood machine parts.

7. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

Hi Vern,

Thanks for the kind offer , but Goldie and I will not be heading south this fall..
    Our Son has changed Jobs and we are helping him find and move to a new Home..

Sorry that I haven't informed you yet , but we just arrived back home..

I will keep that in mind though,

Robert

8. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Wonder if 2x4's would be confiscated as weapons of war? You really can't fix stupid, especially liberal stupid!...Bill

9. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Newfie - There are good stock refinishers in Canada. Why not use one of them? There is a guy about an hour north of me on Vancouver Island, who does excellant work, and can even build you a beautiful stock, if you need it. It would be easier and less likely to have the stock be confiscated if you kept the work in Canada. PM me if you want his contact info.